Serendipity!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Webster defines serendipity as "the ..... phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for."

I was shooting my seventh straight Holyoke Giants game tonight when "an agreeable thing not sought for" turned up. I already had in the bag several shots I knew would be good, and I was a bit bored shooting the same red shirts in the same ballfield for seven straight nights. So I decided I could waste some time trying new things...one of which was lining up a shot showing the pitcher, umpire, runner, and second baseman all in a row collapsed telescopically. Just as I prepared to snap the shot, the shortstop started a planned pickoff. The result was the following shot. I'll probably experiment with "straightening" the shot, but I kinda like it is for now:

original.

Shot at 1/320, f4.0, 800iso using the 280mm Nikon 80-200 w/Kenko 1.4x teleextender combination.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  2. Just to show you that straightening this one will be no picnic, I've straightened it here without fill in. Cropping the ends and cloning the shoes and grass will not be an insurmountable problem...but the missing head? I really don't want to crop along the fence top and leave a "headless" pitcher, but that may be the only practical alternative. Or splice from another pic (nah)? This is all stuff that I would have to / will have to learn from scratch ... but here's the pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  3. Did they get him???

4. Pretty cool picture Harry, given that in your first pic, it appears you've already got a headless pitcher, I'd say straighten it....

5. Yes. Thanks for looking.

6. Should've said "neckless". but having straightened the photo I now agree. Thanks.