Serial numbers question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BostonRott, May 9, 2007.

1. Does the serial number of a lens help you determine whether or not the lens is USA or import?

I bought a used lens (non-AFS, non-VR) and didn't ask if it was import or US verison. Truly, I'm not worried about it (which is part of why I probably forgot to ask), but rather curious.

As there's not really much on the lens to break, I'm not that worried about repairs.

It's an 85/1.8D whose serial number starts out: 302xxx It says "made in Japan."

Thanks! :smile:
  2. RexRoy

Jan 4, 2006
    New York
    usually, a serial number is preceded by "US" when it's a USA version - in your case "US302xxx"
  3. Thank you. This one is not preceded by US, so then probably an import version, yes?

It doesn't bother me, just a piece of info "in case" it ever needs repair (I'll just send it to KEH instead of Nikon. :smile:).

Thanks for the help!!
  4. jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Not Always

Nikon just started using the US designation about 5 years ago.

There are still many new lenses around such as the 500's that don't have a US designation even though they are.

I've bought a fair number of new old stock items in the past year and none of them had US designations even though they were clearly Nikon USA, complete with a Nikon USA warranty slip. shops can't even order parts from Nikon is it's newer piece of equipment which clearly isn't a Nikon USA authentic piece.
  5. Interesting Jim, thank you.

This was just the lens, no box or papers (which I really could care less about).

I'm happy with what I shot this a.m. and am just awaiting parent's permission to be able to post the photos. :smile: (I stink at patience!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  6. jaymc

jaymc Guest

7. They're all imports. :wink: :tongue: :rolleyes:

8. Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    A call to Nikon should answer that. Just tell them you bought a used lens, give them the SN, they should be able to tell you if it's USA or grey.
  9. jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Nikon Won't Tell You Squat

I've tried guess is that if it's after a certain age, they don't really know anyway.

I called on a 2 year lens and they told me that they had no way of knowing.

Now...does that make sense?
  10. Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    No, but if you send it in for repair and it's grey, they'll let you know fast enough, so they do have a database somewhere, maybe it's not accessable to the phone people.