1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

serial numbers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KayB, Jul 27, 2008.

1. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm finally putting together a spreadsheet with all my gear listed on it, along with serial numbers. Do all Nikon lenses have serial numbers? If so, where are they located?

I found one on my 24-70, but not on the 12-24.

Thanks!

2. They do, but they're not all in the same place. Also, at times they're in white numerals and other times they are simply pressed into the metal. Look around very closely and you'll find it. Generally near the mounting collar.

3. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks, thats what I thought too...I must be blind.

4. If you go to the Nikon website, there is a place to find where the serial numbers are on all bodies and lenses. I would have sworn a couple of mine did not have a serial number until I find this reference. Sure enough, they were there! :tongue::wink:

5. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Oh, cool. Thanks for the tip. Now I don't feel so, uh, lame....

Edited:
    Here's the link:
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...2VyaWFsIG51bWJlcnM*&p_li=&p_topview=1#AF Lens

I ended up using a lighted magnafying glass...and presto, there they are! Thank you.

6. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    Mike's on the money....I thought I was going nuts 'cause I couldn't find the s/n on my 60mm micro...finally found it near the base...it was tough to see because it was of the 'pressed in' variety with no highlighting......

7. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Exactly. Even under the lit magnifiying glass I had to turn it different ways to see it. Now that I've seen them, they are easy to find... :wink:

8. Whew, glad I'm not the only one who thought I needed extra-x-ray vision reading glasses. :redface:

9. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    :eek:  Yeah, me too. <<sigh>> I'm only 50, but glasses have become an important part of my life. But glasses didn't even do the trick with this one!

10. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    Bifocals became my new best friend not too long ago.......:tongue:

11. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Register them online...

One of the first things I do when I get a Nikon lens or body (Accessories also...) is register them on the Nikon website.

There is a spot called 'My Stuff' where you can update your profile (after registering) as well as record the serial numbers to your Nikon stuff. It helps to read the serial # off the warranty card or box and enter it while you can still read it.

It's easy to print the page after all your stuff is recorded for insurance purposes.

12. Yep, that's what I was doing a couple weeks ago when I discovered I needed new x-ray specs lol.

13. LOL... I was just at my local Farm Bureau insurance company getting all my gear listed on an inland marine policy. Needless to say, the 70-200VR serial was quite easy to find. The 17-55/2.8... not so easy. The 85/1.4... even harder. I just figured they didn't have one until my agent spotted the faint number on the base of the barrel of my 18-200VR. Once I realized how faint they could be, I quickly located the rest of them.

14. Yup, that would have been a good idea for me as well, had I thought to bring all those documents with me. Instead, I showed up at my insurance agent's office with my bag full of all my gear, so it was a matter of seek and find.:redface:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.