Series of Dance Photos from Spring Show (26 images)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by myphotossux, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Took some shots of the talented ladies of Bosoma, a Boston-based dance company that specilizes in innovative styles that blend art and athleticism. A little sloppy with PP cos of a cold.

Athena:

[​IMG]

Bhangra:

[​IMG]

Blue Balance:

[​IMG]

Bang Right:

[​IMG]

If I Only Have Wings:

[​IMG]

One Arm Only:

[​IMG]

In Sync:

[​IMG]

Freedom:

[​IMG]

Air Pixies:

[​IMG]

Offering:

[​IMG]

Body Aesthetic:

[​IMG]

Human Sculpture I:

[​IMG]

Human Sculpture II:

[​IMG]

Human Sculpture III:

[​IMG]

Flying:

[​IMG]

LY:

[​IMG]

h:

[​IMG]

Me First:

[​IMG]

Under Medusa's Light:

[​IMG]

Lambda:

[​IMG]

Kali:

[​IMG]

Alley Oop:

[​IMG]

Handle With Care:

[​IMG]

Limbo Leap:

[​IMG]

Surprised:

[​IMG]

Glory:

[​IMG]

2. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd

Feb 8, 2007
    Arizona
    I love these shots! I think my favorite is the first B&W one. I also really like #5. She looks like she will just float up and fly. :wink:

Shannon

3. What a wonderful series! Well done.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic photography
    Fantastic dancers also
    I really enjoyed these

5. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I would hope you contacted the company, their photos on their site inhale, and they would be willing to use yours, even for a fee I would think. Very nice work, congrats, always curious, what gear were you using, and looks like your location was right at the stage level for most of the shots. Nicely done,

Wade

6. Great shots, throughout!

A few tech data would be appreciated.

Cheers

7. Thanks for the kind words, everyone but I think I could have done better if not for the cold. this is my 4th shoot with this group so we have some sort of a collaboration. they're a new non-profit organization and in a small city like Boston where the dance scene is like a tiny pea compare to those in NYC and Chicago, they don't make that much money. In fact, the dancers themselves train almost every day throughout the year with no pay until now(and that's not very much so I'm told). So they rely a lot on donors and most of the time it's the choreographers themselves who have to foot the bill. However, they're very friendly and cool about supporting other artists unlike most groups here who are a bit aloof to a newcomer like me. anyway, as far as generating money goes, I'm hoping to sell some of my works one of these days and maybe get hired to shoot in NYC as a freelancer.

as for equipment, I shot with 2 D2H's, one with 50mm at f1.4 and the other 28-70mm at f2.8. ISO 800-1600 with median at 1250. manual mode and center weight metering with shutter speed 1/125-1/500 depending on lighting. I have yet to use auto ISO so might try that next. shot in RAW and converted with Capture 4.4 for noise and color balancing then a lot of PP with CS2.

Wade, as far as position goes, there were no stages so I was at the same level as the dancers but was shooting as low as I could. it helps that I have a small frame and a relatively flexible body :wink:
    I had my other body and CF cards spread out in front of me for easy reach all the time.

8. These are great, I really enjoyed them! And thanks for sharing your settings with us, too.

9. WOW, rather spectacular!

10. Thanks, guys. but I have a confession to make: I actually shot all these with a prototype D3H at ISO 3200! :wink:

11. Great shots! Love the action in these shots.

Anthony

12. mikeyd86

mikeyd86 Guest

This is 3200 on a D3H? You shot a D3H? This is pretty ridiculous.

13. Wonderful job! The whole set is great!

Too bad you didn't use the D4hs -- it works well with coke bottoms.

PaulC

14. Thanks Paul. I could've but I only have CF cards and they take SD only :tongue:

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great humor to go with your fantastic images:>)))

16. "offering" is my personal favorite - very nice job.

17. Beautiful images with dramatic lighting. Well done.

18. Great action captures and lighting.
    You deserve a special round of applause for these!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

19. Great job, very well done. Thanks for sharing.