Servicing Nikkor 85mm F/1.8

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by vladik1980, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

I got used 85mm lens, the other day, for a pretty good price. The only downside is that the focus at f1.8 is pretty off and quite a bit PF. I went through two other copies of 85mm and this one was the best out of 3. If I send it to Nikon Service Center, will they be able to calibrate it, so the focus is spot on and no PF or am I dreaming? :) If so, does anyone know how much will that cost?

It gets pretty sharp at 2.8 and pretty much without any PF.

Here's a little test image:

[​IMG]

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Mines focus perfectly on my D50. Consider the purple fringing to be a special feature of this lens. It means that the lens is very well corrected against coma. I call it the Purple Monster.

3. I heard fast primes actually have problems focusing on Full Frame wide open. I even tried Micro Adjustment, but couldn't tune it. It still misses the focus point.

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I don't think that's true, the 50/1.4 i tried on the D3 focused quick and extremely precise. What is your focus setting on?

5. Single point focus, 51 point, focus tracking normal. Nothing extraordinary.

6. I have no trouble with my 85 1.4 or 50 1.4 focusing sharp wide open. I hope it's not an issue with your camera.....:frown:

7. I don't think its the camera, I tried another copy and the focus was right, but it was more soft and it had more PF. :smile: