Servicing Nikkor 85mm F/1.8

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by vladik1980, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

I got used 85mm lens, the other day, for a pretty good price. The only downside is that the focus at f1.8 is pretty off and quite a bit PF. I went through two other copies of 85mm and this one was the best out of 3. If I send it to Nikon Service Center, will they be able to calibrate it, so the focus is spot on and no PF or am I dreaming? :)  If so, does anyone know how much will that cost?

It gets pretty sharp at 2.8 and pretty much without any PF.

Here's a little test image:

[​IMG]

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Mines focus perfectly on my D50. Consider the purple fringing to be a special feature of this lens. It means that the lens is very well corrected against coma. I call it the Purple Monster.

3. I heard fast primes actually have problems focusing on Full Frame wide open. I even tried Micro Adjustment, but couldn't tune it. It still misses the focus point.

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I don't think that's true, the 50/1.4 i tried on the D3 focused quick and extremely precise. What is your focus setting on?

5. Single point focus, 51 point, focus tracking normal. Nothing extraordinary.

6. I have no trouble with my 85 1.4 or 50 1.4 focusing sharp wide open. I hope it's not an issue with your camera.....:frown:

7. I don't think its the camera, I tried another copy and the focus was right, but it was more soft and it had more PF. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.