Critique Sesame Seed Bagels

I wanted to buy just one bagel but the grocery store was selling them only in bags of six. I got over that issue by photographing them. :D

Setup
In all photos, the background and tabletop are a single sheet of dark brown art paper.

Photos #1 & #3: A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock was in the front right area. A black flag between it and the scene controlled where the light directly fell on the scene. A white reflector on the left slightly lifted shadows on that side.

Photo #2: A small lamp fitted with a diffusion sock in the front right area faced away from the scene toward a white wall. A black flag between it and the scene prevented the right side of the background from being too bright. A flashlight on the right added the rim lighting to the primary subject.

Mike 2020-11-10--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2020-11-10--0006-S.jpg

Mike 2020-11-10--0002-S.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You are making me hungry!!!!! But I'd get seeds everywhere! Great shots! #1 is my favorite composition. I would have liked just a wee bit more light on the right side since the foreground is so bright.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
I like #1 best, and I'm not bothered by the contrast between the brightest area and the darker parts of the image. I like the way the brightest part of the star bagel emerges out of the shadows, with its bagel brothers and sisters dimly visible.

I grew up in NYC in the 1950s and 1960s just a few blocks from a now defunct bagel bakery on the corner of Broadway and 84th. No bagel I've eaten since can come close to the fresh, warm -- and never toasted! -- bagels of the lost world of my childhood and adolescence. Certainly not bagels, however excellent they may be, sold in a plastic bag.

On special Sundays, we would buy bagels there and lox and smoked whitefish (carp) at Murray's Sturgeon Shop (still going strong) on B'way between 90th and 91st. Cream cheese, of course; new (half sour) cucumber pickles and pickled green tomatoes from the barrel; and black, very salty Greek olives, which my father called "mislennas" -- a corruption, I later learned, of the Russian word for olives, masliny.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you also to Nick and Randy!

If anyone was wondering why my shutter speeds were so slow (I was certainly wondering as I was capturing the photos), I can confirm that it was a rookie mistake. ARRRRRRGH! When I changed lenses today, I realized that I had accidentally left my polarizer filter mounted on the lens. It's slightly possible that the polarizer eliminated some glare, though if that happened I really got lucky and made it happen without adjusting the polarizer's ring. I don't think the surface of the seeds or bagels would have produced glare but they might have.

Last edited:
The discussion about whether the shadow tones should have been a bit brighter especially in the first photo has been interesting. Everyone spoke about that in terms of the relationship between the scene's darker and brighter tones. Nick referred to it as balance, so let's go with that to keep things simple. In my mind, decisions about balance and imbalance are much like decisions about symmetry and asymmetry; just as photographers might want balance in one situation and imbalance in another situation, we might want symmetry in one situation and asymetry in another. All of those decisions are about preference, not correctness.

Even so, I always like seeing ideas about how to consider changing a photo because every so often someone suggests a change that I really like and wouldn't have thought of on my own. So keep those ideas coming!

Last edited:
fresh, warm -- and never toasted! -- bagels
In my mind, no bagel that has to be toasted to be tasty is a great bagel. I toasted the first bagel and then topped it with cream cheese, capers and lox. I ate the second bagel whole and not toasted, and it was surprisingly good considering that it was only a grocery store bagel.

I’m missing your water drops.
Thanks, Al! I haven't done any water drop photos for about six weeks due to a vacation and doing other types of photography. Coincidentally, I hooked up the apparatus just today and did some experimental stuff trying to get the valves properly aligned. I'll be working at that for a couple days.

Thanks, Al! I haven't done any water drop photos for about six weeks due to a vacation and doing other types of photography. Coincidentally, I hooked up the apparatus just today and did some experimental stuff trying to get the valves properly aligned. I'll be working at that for a couple days.
Ok I'll wait impatiently then.
Hope you enjoyed your time off, being retired every day is a day off.
I'm mucking with a slomo camera doing milk drops, I just posted some in another thread.

Al

Hi Mike. My fav is #3 as the light is gradually fading away from right to left. #1 is a nice composition too but I find the darks a bit too much . Lifting them just a bit would make a very nice image in my opinion.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom