Setting up a Z for adapted lenses

So I managed to find myself a Voigtlander M mount 40mm 1.4 and got a Kipon L/M to N/Z adapter. Now I have a couple questions . . .

How do you folks have your Z set up to use an adapted lens?

On the Kipon, in my brief tests, it looks as if the infinity point is not accurate. Do others find the same thing with the Kipon adapter? I thought I'd read somewhere that the Kipon was pretty accurate (and that's the reason I went with that brand).

Any help would be appreciated.

So I managed to find myself a Voigtlander M mount 40mm 1.4 and got a Kipon L/M to N/Z adapter. Now I have a couple questions . . .

How do you folks have your Z set up to use an adapted lens?

On the Kipon, in my brief tests, it looks as if the infinity point is not accurate. Do others find the same thing with the Kipon adapter? I thought I'd read somewhere that the Kipon was pretty accurate (and that's the reason I went with that brand).

Any help would be appreciated.
I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I’ve doing a bit of shopping and research related to one of the Cosina-Voigtlander lenses and various adapters and their relative merits. I come from a background of pre-autofocus shooting with DSLRs and, before that, actual rangefinder 35mm camera bodies.

I’m wondering, if I expect to use solely focus peaking and magnification to shoot on my Z6 with a manual lens, how important are variations in infinity focus as long as I can reach infinity with the focus and am not depending on hyperfocal distance calculations to determine depth of field for specific images?

I find a lot of these third party adapters to be slightly off. The only adapter makers I really trust are OEM and Cosina/Voigtlander. The last Voigtlander adapter I owned, infinity was spot on perfect to hard stop. The reason a lot of these adapter makers go slightly pass infinity is due to the fact not reaching infinity focus is even worst! So better to have some leeway. ;)

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but I’ve doing a bit of shopping and research related to one of the Cosina-Voigtlander lenses and various adapters and their relative merits. I come from a background of pre-autofocus shooting with DSLRs and, before that, actual rangefinder 35mm camera bodies.

I’m wondering, if I expect to use solely focus peaking and magnification to shoot on my Z6 with a manual lens, how important are variations in infinity focus as long as I can reach infinity with the focus and am not depending on hyperfocal distance calculations to determine depth of field for specific images?
No apology necessary. Thread was on a fast track to nowhere :) I learned photography back in the 70's so autofocus is still kind of a novelty. FWIW, my Kipon seems to go past infinity which as Johnathan above points out is better than the other way around.

One curious thing is that I don't find focus peaking all that accurate for some reason. The only way I've been able to achieve consistent accurate focus is with focus peaking COMBINED with magnification in which case it seems very reliable.

Real Name
Andy
it looks as if the infinity point is not accurate.
My FTZ is good for infinity using AI lenses. None of my other adapters are very good in this regard.
The only way I've been able to achieve consistent accurate focus is with focus peaking COMBINED with magnification in which case it seems very reliable.
This is my preferred technique also. With practice, very effective.

Real Name
John Van Atta
Unfortunately if the lens has floating elements performance can be affected. I've seen increased field curvature and color tinges in the periphery with a Loxia 25mm on the Z. I'm hoping the Kipon does better, but they're out of stock at Adorama, and I don't want to buy from China.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom