Setting up for business

A stall is being stocked for the day's trading in the Fruit and Vegetable Market. There's calm in the shade while there's chaos outside as suppliers are delivering and traders are haggling for stock.

The guy in the foreground left was one of my favourite subjects from a street environmental portrait last year. It's good to go back after a break and not be recognised again to take some shots which are more candid, and slightly weird when you recognise people from previous photographs but they haven't got a clue who you are!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While fully recognizing the difficulty in balancing the foreground in the shadows with the background in bright sun, I think you sort of missed the shot. The subject stall and the people are far too underexposed to be effective. This is a classic case of having to decide whether to expose for the highlights or the shadows and in this case, you sort of tried to balance the two. The result is that neither foreground or background end up well exposed.

Unless you are HDR capable, there is no way that I know of to make make this image compelling. That said, in cases where one has to choose between highlights and shadows, the old adage of exposing for the subject would probably have been my default.

Sorry to seem harsh, but I just don't see anything particularly special in the image. More to do with the almost impossible to handle dynamic range. i understand what you were trying to do, but without utilizing HDR fixes, it just isn't working for me.

Wonder what would have resulted had you moved to your left and took the shot. Looks like there might have been some trees shielding the bright background which may have enabled you to open up the detail in the faces.

Obviously cannot tell for sure from the shot, but moving around to try and kill that glaringly bright background might have been an option, as would pehaps zooming (or moving in) to exclude the bright background.

not to be disagreeable - but I disagree with Rick's critique, I think the underexposed area works and portrays the shadowed area under the canopy quite realistically - obviously a personal choice but I like it quite a lot.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom