Setting up new 13" MBP for travel

Currently, I'm using a mid 2005 15" MBP. I have used it for travel a few times, but is way too bulky considering all the gear I take.

In attempting to downsize, I bought a 12" MBP and wish to set it up for travel.

As most of my current software is old and most require limited access or subscriptions, I'm not sure what to do.

I have MS Office 2008, it serves me well, but am told it won't work on new operating system. So I need to buy a monthly subscription to use on both computers, buy a single use program, or start trying out Apple software, such as "Pages"
Thoughts?

As far as photo editing, I do very little. I have LightRoom 5 and am not sure that'll work on Mojave and a later upgrade to Catalina (after my trip).

I also have been using PS CS5, which also serves me well for my limited editing. But, if I want to use it on the new machine, I have to buy a subscription to Adobe.

I think there's a way to get LR if you purchase the monthly
subscription, but the woman I spoke with at Adobe did her best, but English was not her first language.

Anyone been through this?

I'll be on the road in S.E. Asia for maybe 2 months and really don't need to do a huge amount of edits until I return home. But, do wish to have have access to a way to edit photos and send word (type) documents.

Thanks so much.

Wandering Bob

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I tried Libre Office for a while, but eventually migrated back to MS Office 2008, which still works on my computers running High Sierra and Mavericks. I'll probably go back to Libre when I finally have to say sayonara to Office 2008, but it was just not as comfortable as the old familiar Excel (that's the only Office program I use).

I've moved from Lightroom and Photoshop to DxO PL 2 to avoid the monthly tithe to Adobe. You might want to give that a try and see if it suits you.

Apple's equivalents to Microsoft Office include Pages, Keynote and Numbers. I've only used Pages, and it works just fine and also is able to read and work with MS Word documents. No idea of how well Numbers correlates to Excel, though.... Is there any real reason to stick with MS now, do you have to exchange a lot of documents or excel-type data back-and-forth with MS users or would Apple's apps work for you moving forward?

Sorry, but old standalone versions of Lightroom and CS are not going to work on your new 13" MBP with Mojave.....

As has been mentioned here, there are alternatives to the subscription-based Lightroom and PS. I've been using Luminar 3 as I've been reluctantly and sadly letting go of Apple's Aperture, which bit the dust the minute I installed Catalina. There are a lot of good editing programs out there now for a one-time purchase and which can be as effective as PS and Lightroom, depending upon a user's needs and editing skill set. Another thing to take into consideration when it comes to a subscription-based editing tool -- is it available when one is not able to be online? When one is traveling there well may be places in which internet access of any sort is just not going to happen or is very limited.

I would completely ditch Office 2008 and just use the Apple bundled software. It's pretty damn good unless you have advanced spreadsheets or specific transitions only found in the office programs.

If you want to continue using Lightroom just get the photographer bundle from Adobe for $9.99/mo. It's LR and PS and always the current version of each. I don't know of alternatives like mentioned above so research and see if they work for you. Or you could look to see if Adobe still sells their Elements products and just purchase that without monthly payments.

Thanks so much for all the great info ... I always enjoy the help I get from this forum!

I've decided to "try" the monthly subscription to Adobe for $10/month as time is short. I can cancel at any time and this'll give me the opportunity to get what files I need to access RAW files. Still haven't figured that out on the D500, DOH!

I'll also give Apple's software a try. Not sure I'll need more than that for my basic usage. Upon my return, I'll give Libre a closer look.

Again, thanks so much.

Bahaha! Living in The Boonies has its perks. Downloading software on my very slow DSL is NOT one of them.

Lightroom is downloading ... after an hour ... I only have 364 more minutes left! Yup, 6 more hours! Almost worth a trip to town! Haha!
Have you ever checked in to some of the satellite internet services or are you too far north to access the satellite signal? I know Hughes used to offer 25Mbps with up to 10 GB of data. After 10 GB you still had service but at a slower speed.

That's why I mentioned that if you are going to be traveling in areas where internet access is unavailable or limited, you could find yourself having some major problems when it comes to processing images......
Thanks, as always Connie. I read your message, wasn’t sure what you meant and still don’t completely. I should have asked!!!

Considering, I download LR and PS, I should be able to edit photos offline, right? I was able to before. I’m no Pro, I don’t need to upload images for business or marketing.

The live-a-board dive boats I’ll be in, will have limited internet and if they do, it’ll be more expensive than I’ll pay for!!!

You can absolutely use them offline, yes. I don't have any of their online services turned on except the ability to check for updates.

Have you ever checked in to some of the satellite internet services or are you too far north to access the satellite signal?
I live fairly remote, I have natural gas and DSL to my place, which Is rare. You can no longer get DSL through normal channels, but there are a few satellite options available. However, at 60, the winters are just too long! I no longer do mountaineering, ice climbing and skiing ... so time to go ... at least during the winters. Florida Keys, Baja, SE Asia ....

Last edited:
I've been using an MS Word replacement called NeoOffice (OpenOffice) for years now, and I like it just fine, but I'm a light user. I finally broke down earlier this year and bought an Adobe CC subscription (I think just PS, no LR)... It works just fine, and the best part is that you get all the regular updates, rather than be stuck with no updates on the older versions... it's always current.

Check which subscription you have because there is a special Photographers' subscription which includes Bridge, ACR, Photoshop and Lightroom for $10 per month which may actually cost less than the single application subscription which you have.
I am sure Adobe would be able to adjust this if you ask them.

Warning on Apple's Numbers app. It is very buggy. I've had several communications with Apple and very few of the reported bugs have been fixed. I bought a subscription to MS Office just for Excel. Been happy since I did that.

Pages seems to work fine. I don't use a word processor very often though.

If you guys aren't using office or the iWork suite in any advanced ways, Google Docs is free and quite simple to use. Includes Google Sheets and their powerpoint type program.

Real Name
Andy
Considering, I download LR and PS, I should be able to edit photos offline, right? I was able to before. I’m no Pro, I don’t need to upload images for business or marketing.
I travel extensively with a MBP. You can indeed perform all editing while offline. An additional thought that might be worth your consideration:

I do recommend using Adobe Cloud to sync your edited work to the cloud for safekeeping. You can probably do so for quite some time without coming close to exceeding the 20GB allotment included in your subscription. Your laptop will perform the sync when you open LR in a WiFi environment. This would give you access to your final images from mobile devices that have the LR mobile app installed (use of that app is also included in your subscription). More importantly, if you drop your laptop and phone in the ocean before you’ve had the chance to do a traditional backup, at least your best images can be retrieved from the cloud from an instance of LR on your replacement device.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom