Settings for shooting people?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Czechman01, May 23, 2005.

1. Greetings,

I'm one of these old coots who believes I can do it better with my computer than the camera can, but I believe it may be time to re-think.

I shoot portraits, fashion and glamour in my studio with my new D2X and was curious to know if there are any custom settings that are working well for others in my situation.

I do believe that less contrast is one thing to consider, especially on BW conversions... anyone else?

Woody

2. Hi Woody,

For one thing, Color Space/Color Mode has a substantial impact on skin tones. I've settled on Adobe (and Mode I) for portraits.

Also, I agree with you on using less contrast. I also keep sharpening turned off in camera.

Best wishes,

David

3. Hi David,

Mode 1... that's a surprise. Care to share your thoughts on how that improves skin tones?

Nice images on pbase, BTW.

Woody

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    D2X manual, page 70

Color mode I "Choose for portrait shots".
    Color mode III " Choose for nature or landscape shots".

I can't access mode II since I'm not using AdobeRGB for color space but it is for photos "that will be extensively processed or retouched". My work is done in the camera with very little PP by myself, gallery, or magazine.

My guess (big guess) is that mode I is calibrated to handle skin tones (reds) where mode III goes after the blue/greens. I found it safer to use mode I for all scenes without any problems. It would be interesting to see what the birders are using for their feathered friends. Fellow here in town is one of the top five color experts in the USofA. Next time I see him I'll get his read on this.

5. Larry,

Yea, I saw that in the manual too but I'm real heavy into post production editing and shoot everything in Adobe RGB and Mode II.

I'll have to think on this one.

Woody

6. Hi Woody,

I stay in Adobe RGB and Mode II for everything except portraits. Although, like you, I do a lot of post processing, I find "Mode I" a better starting place for skin tones.

Nice shots in your gallery, too!

Best wishes,

David

7. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Woody,

You didn't initially indicate the mode you use and under the circumstances, mode II seems appropriate. However, David is giving advice with real experiences in mode I and II that I can't give. I certainly must defer to his knowledge and would be working from his base and a hard look if I were using mode II. Try it out in some practice sessions and let us know what you think. I don't fool around with experiments in working shoots but I always take time to try new things in pleasure/practice for application to working shoots. I did three shoots in three different cities between noon and 10:00 PM yesterday. I vote for more naps this week!

8. Yes Woody, as Larry suggests, I too would be very interested in your conclusions if you get a chance to compare skin tones with Adobe Mode I vs. Adobe Mode II.

To me, Mode II is slightly greener, Mode I slightly redder.

(I may be wrong, of course!)

Best wishes,

David

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Here's a 2X shot from lst night's b-day party

And no, this guy never smiles. Could be 'cause he's gettting married in 2 months! ;) And ya, that's some lipstick on his mouth... just not his!
    Shot in raw, Mode I, +6 Hue adjustment Flash WB.

11. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Steve,

Whew! I've been holding +3 on hue and too chicken poop to go +6. Do you see the hues more saturated at +6? I'm doing a practice shoot over in the middle of SC on Wednesday. Maybe will pop some double shots and then look at differences.

Oh, and maybe he doesn't smile but there is a hint of a smirk.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Well, "technically" Larry,

I shot it in +3, but increased it to +6 in NC. Normally, I keep it @+3. I do see that Carol Steele shoots her portraits in +6 though.

13. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Re: Well, "technically" Larry,

Okay. That makes sense. If I'm going to add anything I'd rather do it in software. Easier to add than subtract.