1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Settings on D700

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by TomD., Aug 2, 2008.

1. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    D700 Owners, what are your settings on the D700?
    Are you following the recommendations for the D3 or the D300? Has Moose or others published theirs?

Thanks

2. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    As of Thursday, Moose hadn't made any comments on the D700 yet except to say that he has one he's running through the paces.

3. I'm using the same settings as on my D300, and so far it's working well. I actually believe the D700 has a better AWB as well, with my raw files needing less correction in post. If you want me to list the exact settings let me know and I'll copy them down for you.

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Sonya, I don't have any experience with the 300 awb, but I absolutely love what the 700 does. I almost never shoot my 200 using awb because it usually misses the mark. I'm amazed by the tonal accuracy that comes out of the 700. It's also confirming the suspicion I have that the focus is a little off with my 200. For the first time I'm getting consistent sharpness that I'm happy with - both manual and af - even though I have a KatzEye in the 200.

5. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    A focussing screen can be "off" if its not the correct distance from the mirror. Just having a split image prism doesn't mean everything will be correctly calibrated. I know that Katzeye will do this physical calibration for you as pert of their services.

6. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks Sonya, I'll go with my D300 setting.
    BTW, beautiful images on your site.
    Tom

7. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC

They did the "focus module alignment" thing, and it DID help, but it's still not quite where it should be (in my opinion). Now that I have the 700, I plan to send it to Nikon and let them deal with it. I was getting worried it was me, especially with manual lenses, but I've gotten consistently sharp images (where I feel they should be) with the new body.

8. dwind

dwind Guest

Just got a d700 yesterday and took it out for a test ride this morning, then shot the same stuff(roses and some other flowers) with the d300. The d700 shots were a expodential above the d300, same lens, same everything. The only thing I changed on the d700 from default was picture copntrol to vivid and qual to raw. I then did a reset on the d300 and only set raw and vivid and much better. They are pretty comparable now. Phew.
    I got the d700 for wide angle and got a 17 - 35 at the same time. Wow, what a nice combination.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.