Setup for Aerial Work

S

skymac

Hey,

Just looking for suggestions to get some good aerial photos. I have an aircraft and a D3100, but right now all I have is the standard lense. What type of lense or technique should I look for to make some good, and rich pictures from 1000' or so in the air. Thanks for any info in advance :smile:

I haven't done anything serious, but the ones I've taken have been pretty decent. I use my 18-135 because it allows me to get wider views as well as zoom if necessary. I find the best pictures are when we open the canopy and it helps to have someone else flying. The pics with closed canopy tend to have a hazy/blue tinge due to the plastic. My biggest challenge is that my bird is low wing, so I have limited opp in forward quadrant only.

Maybe check out the new 24-120/4VR. Even with a DX body it'll give you reasonably wide and a little each plus VR. The next choice, if you need wider, would be the 16-35/4VR. Get circular polarizers on either/both. With those two lenses, you'll be ready to make a clean, good quality transition to FX if you ever want to.

55 on dx should be ok. When I'm taking a flight lesson, I have the 24-70 which is pretty equivalent to the 18-55.

Make sure you are good with turns around a point :)

Also, I would say get to a little less than 500.

Michael

That's a good point about turns around a point, but the better plan is going up with another pilot when you're going to shoot. Even my flight instructor would ask me to fly when he wanted to shoot (which was a huge compliment coming from him). He'd still make sure to cuss me up and down if I was off my bank even the slightest little bit :tongue: He was a real hard-a$$! I can fly safely because of him.

That's a good point about turns around a point, but the better plan is going up with another pilot when you're going to shoot. Even my flight instructor would ask me to fly when he wanted to shoot (which was a huge compliment coming from him). He'd still make sure to cuss me up and down if I was off my bank even the slightest little bit :tongue: He was a real hard-a$$! I can fly safely because of him.

Youre exactly right. I'm flying out of Rock Hill and I see you are from upstate SC. Where are you flying from.

Michael

S

skymac

Thanks for the lense suggestions guys. Flying the right pattern is huge and getting the right slant angle for the shot you want. I actually happen to fly unmanned aircraft as a career which is flying soley for the use of the camera on board to get the right shots from the video. Since I have a cessna 172 now, I thought this might be a cool way to make some use of it on the side :)

Youre exactly right. I'm flying out of Rock Hill and I see you are from upstate SC. Where are you flying from.

Michael

Used to fly the Clemson University Cessnas (152 and 172) out of Clemson. Got married, had a baby, bought a house, ran out of money :tongue: I haven't flown in just over six years. I miss it, but boy is it expensive!

Skymac, flying uav could be a lot of fun. A 172 makes a great photography platform. Especially if you can remove a door!

......A 172 makes a great photography platform. Especially if you can remove a door!

Or at least remove the screw that holds the window brace to the window, so that the window lays flat against the underside of the wing.

A zoom would be ideal, with the wide end around 16-18mm on a DX body. Something like the 16-85 or 18-200.

I've always thought the best shots are those where a little horizon shows. Get down low (around 500 agl) and show the horizon in the distance, for a diminishing perspective look. And consider shooting early or late in the day, when the sun is low. I always thought it made the colors of the grass and trees richer.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom