Several of the Nikon 1 products are going to be classic and collectable.

I have the V2 & V3. Put a telephoto on one and wide angle on the other to cover hometown parades. Setup works great and doesn't break my back to carry them both up and down the parade route.

I seriously doubt they will be collectible with the advances other cameras are making and all the new products regularly being released.
I still like my little J1 but use it mostly for video these days.

It's not so much that Nikon 1 gear will be collectables, it's that current Nikon 1 users are doubling up on bodies and lenses. I have a pair of V1 and J5 bodies. The V1 isn't great, but it does share batteries with current Nikon Dxx DSLR and Z cameras. Also it has some a unique base ISO image output that when properly edited via raw, look amazing. The J5 on the other hand, is the only 1" BSI sensor ILC body on the market. The image output is basically a mini version of the Nikon Z6. Did I mention all cameras have OSPDAF? :D

Also I've been tempted to pick up a Nikon 1 6.7-13mm VR, though I always change my mind! I have a feeling I'm going to regret not getting one! Lastly the 10-100mm non-PD VR is the longest telephoto zoom you can sneak into a sporting arena without being stopped at the door!

From the J5 + 10mm 2.8 showing off it's DR:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

181114_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO_003 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

From the J5 + 10mm 2.8:

190224_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

From the V1 + FT1 + 300mm PF VR:

190221_NIKON_V1_300_PF_VR_FRIOLO by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

From the V1 + 10-100mm non-PD VR:

181111_RAMS_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_012 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Pound for pound the Nikon 1 is great little system. the lenses are some of the best small sensor optics out there. And it's auto focus speed is fantastic.

Pound for pound the Nikon 1 is great little system. the lenses are some of the best small sensor optics out there. And it's auto focus speed is fantastic.
It's sad, because the J5 really perfected the sensor and menu layout. Had they released a V4 and made it closer to the V2 with integrated EVF, that would of been an amazing camera. I would of also preferred they stayed with standard SD cards. The use of micro SD in the J5 is really annoying. Luckily you can use an SD adapter though.

Just shot with my J5 today. This sensor holds up so well. It's a baby Z6! :D

190405_OLVERA_ST_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_026 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

190405_OLVERA_ST_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_002 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

190405_OLVERA_ST_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_025 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Also the J5 is in full-time silent shutter mode, due to lack of mechanical shutter. Sucks though when shooting in artificial light, but works great in daylight when you want to be street stealth!

190405_OLVERA_ST_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_035 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's sad, because the J5 really perfected the sensor and menu layout. Had they released a V4 and made it closer to the V2 with integrated EVF, that would of been an amazing camera. I would of also preferred they stayed with standard SD cards. The use of micro SD in the J5 is really annoying. Luckily you can use an SD adapter though.
It was sad to read all the internet 'smack downs' on the Nikon 1 system. I thought Nikon was headed in the correct direction with a light weight and capable system with great optics. I guess we can thank goodness the internet expert 'trolls' weren't around when Nikon introduced the D1. With all the negative internet press, Nikon might have thrown in the towel after the D2x and there would be no D850 or D5 today.

It was sad to read all the internet 'smack downs' on the Nikon 1 system. I thought Nikon was headed in the correct direction with a light weight and capable system with great optics. I guess we can thank goodness the internet expert 'trolls' weren't around when Nikon introduced the D1. With all the negative internet press, Nikon might have thrown in the towel after the D2x and there would be no D850 or D5 today.
The engineering behind the Nikon 1 was sound. It was Nikon's convoluted marketing and lack of a unified vision that killed the N1. The V1/V2/V3 were all so drastically different and overly priced, no one wanted to buy the cameras after Nikon would dump old inventory at a fraction of the price. Also the V3 became a modular mess and the switch to micro SD was just backwards for this class of camera. The J5 finally got all the pieces right and then Nikon killed it! A potential V4 with the J5 tech would of been icing on the cake.

On the plus side, I was able to get all the Nikon 1 gear I own on fire sale. I recently just tracked down a somewhat used 6.7-13mm VR (but with clean glass and in black) and this lens is pretty awesome. It's the smallest ultra wide angle zoom for a 1" sensor and the spiritual mirrorless predecessor to the Z 14-30mm f4 lens that's coming out. It even has the same lock position lens barrel. Honestly, I think I prefer the 1" sensor over Micro Four-Thirds, mainly because it has better sensor tech with OSPDAF and BSI (despite being smaller), I prefer the 2:3 frame ratio and I can fill in the telephoto long end with my DSLR glass. Also if you want a bit more reach, but don't want spend much money, you can pick up AF-P DX glass that has the same silent drive motor as Nikon 1 lenses, making AF fast. For FX, the 70-300mm AF-P FX VR also works like native on the Z system.

Nikon J5 + 6.7-13mm VR:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom