Several petroglyphs

Found these on a hike a bit north of Vernal, Utah last week. From what I understand, they are ca. 1000 years old and date from a time when there was violence between different tribes of the ancestral puebloans.

Egg Man 3186.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cannibal 3188.jpg

Hula Hoops 3198.jpg

3204.jpg

Thanks a bunch Wade, Bill, and Karen. I wanted to take an actual camera up there, but there was a steep, rocky scramble to get up along the face of the rock walls, so I defaulted to the iPhone.

Bill - I did enjoy hiking around the Utah portion of Dinosaur but no, this is on private property, and the woman who owns it allows access: what a gift! It's on the National Registry of Historic Places. It's called the McConkie Ranch.

Neat find, Eric. These look very distinct...surprisingly so. I would have guessed they might be modern graffiti.

Neat find, Eric. These look very distinct...surprisingly so. I would have guessed they might be modern graffiti.
Thanks, Jim. There were only a few obvious examples of vandalism, each of which ticked me off, such as the one attached below. Not sure when this panel was defaced but it looks to be a while back.

Vandalized Twins 3221.jpg

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Wonderful find.

I often hear it said that America has no real history. This set proves that thre is indeed a lot of ancient history to be found in the USA and other sites I have read about.

Looks like the locals did a portrait of their new friends that just came out of that weird round object :droid: :D
Maybe like this guy?;)

ET?.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom