SF Cruise Suggestions

D

Debbi

The time is almost here. I leave for SF next Thursday and the one thing I really want to do is take a sunset cruise to capture and see a different perspective of the city. Any suggestions of good companies/cruises? There are so many and I'm sure some are worth the money while others, maybe not so much.

Thanks!

Debbi

Debbi:
You might want to look into the evening tour of Alcatraz. You get a tour of the island and prison, and you are free to walk around the island on your own to take all the pictures you want. You have a good view of the golden gate bridge, the city skyline and the bay bridge.
Otherwise, Hornblower yachts offers cruises around the bay. If you have access to a car, you might want to drive out to treasure island. You get a great view back to the city waterfront and the skyline.
Enjoy your visit.

Michael

D

Debbi

Thanks, Michael! I thought about Alcatraz but everything I have read is that you need to book way in advance to have a chance of getting tickets but I will check into that today. The main reason I was looking at a cruise was specifically to go underneath the GGB. I will have a car as I am staying outside of SF proper and will use BART and other public trans to get around the city but I also want to do sunrise/sunset shots of the GGB. I assume you can find parking around the normal spots for those shots?

Debbie:
Yes, it is true that the ferries do sell out often. However, if you check this site http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/ you can see if tickets are still available. There is a great site at the Marin headlands to take sunrise shots of the golden gate and the city. Alcatraz would offer good vistas for the sunset pictures of the golden gate bridge. If you want shots under the bridge, you can drive to the foot of the bridge on both sides. It doesn't get you out on the water, but you can get under the bridge. There are also a couple of spots in the Presidio and on Baker beach where you can get some good views of the bridge that are not as common as those normally seen (probably not too good for sunrise/sunset shots though).
Have fun.
Michael

D

Debbi

Thanks again, Michael! Unfortunately, the Alcratraz evening tours are sold out. No big deal. I knew they sold out early and I chose not to book. I will definitely take your other suggestions of Treasure Island, Baker beach and the Presidio. I'll also check out Hornblower. I do appreciate the suggestions.

Latest threads

Top Bottom