Shadow help II

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by peterparker, Jun 19, 2007.

1. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Quick selection and shadow tool took care of my shadows previously. Not having much luck this time, and cloning with a layer mask won't work. Peano or any other PS gurus have some advice?

[​IMG]

2. that looks like a pain in the butt...

you could get a bracket!

Take your rubber stamp tool and change it so its only doing about 30%, then have a large enough brush to go over the whole area in about 3-4 strokes. Use that to "rough" the shadows down a little, and then clean it up with a smaller brush around the faces and stuff.

I like to start big because then you're less likely to leave trails or signs of your work, and it just blends in easier.

then also as long as you're at it, select a skin tone near where the skin is blown out, and go over those areas with a paintbrush at about 10%.

3. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Not a problem, I've moved the flash off camera since then :smile:.

4. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Oddly, the shadows behind/beside their heads are the trickiest. The light on the wall is a gradient, so you just have to pay attention to that.

I used copy and paste to move sections of wall over the shadows, then masked them out and painted them back in. Here are the first two cuts I made and the directions I moved them (to preserve gradients).

cut1.

For the seatback, try copying and pasting several sections of unshadowed material and fitting them over the shadow. Move the pieces around until the fabric patterns more of less mesh. Then group them, put a mask on the group, invert it, and start painting with white.

moshadows.

5. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Simple

1) use your pen tool and draw a path around a specific shadow area
    2) save path and convert it to a selection
    3) just clone from an adjacent area
    4) levels to refine

The exactness of your path will determine the quality of your retouch. Here is a qucik example

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards

RFC

6. When there's an bold shadow like this, I leave a hint of it in the edit. I think it's just too hard to remove all the shadows and make it look natural, so if you leave a bit of it I think it comes out more real.

[​IMG]

7. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    I agree completely. I want minimal PP.

Bandnuts, what did you do to lighten the shadows?

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

8. I use the clone/layer process as Peano discusses. When I have one like this, I work a bit on the smaller shadows as well, then when all is about done, I copy the orig shot over the top and put the bold shadow (just a masked area to the right of both the people) back into the shot at 10 to 20%.

9. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    If you use the copy/paste method and want to keep some shadow, just lower the opacity of the "cover" layers until you see what you like.