Shadow Stripes

This is a photograph that I captured at the Red Hills Visitor Center in Saguaro National Park (Arizona) three years ago. The restrooms are located in the area in the back of this structure, so it took a while for the scene to clear of people. And, I attracted a lot of curious looks from people as to why, in their eyes, I was photographing the entrance to the restrooms!

_DSC0298-HDR-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Love the stripe patterns. I also think the framed cactus on the left adds contrast and variety to the image.

Yes to everything already mentioned. It's a shame that when we want cloudless skies, such as in this photo, we get clouds and when we want clouds, we get none.

I've got an idea perhaps worth trying: Crop at the top to exclude all of the sky except the sliver that is essentially at the horizon at the rear of the building. Be sure not to cut off any of the saguaro cactus. Then convert to monochrome.

Last edited:
This is a photograph that I captured at the Red Hills Visitor Center in Saguaro National Park (Arizona) three years ago. The restrooms are located in the area in the back of this structure, so it took a while for the scene to clear of people. And, I attracted a lot of curious looks from people as to why, in their eyes, I was photographing the entrance to the restrooms!

View attachment 1679810

Thanks for looking...
Glenn
Beautiful Glenn.(y)

That's truly a beautiful image, Glenn. The stripes and shadows provide so much depth and animation. And, as Karen said, the cactus and blues add to the scene.
Thank you...much appreciated
Another idea: Consider cropping at the left to remove the strip of sky and land. I think doing so will accentuate the window that frames the cactus.
Thanks Mike...I appreciate the suggestions! I prefer your second recommendation as I think it does accentuate the window. My concern with the initial suggestion is that it removes a substantial amount of striped shadows—which to my eyes was what prompted me to capture the photograph.
Very nice George. The shadows are really interesting. I wonder what it would look like in b&w.
Thank you...I did process this both ways, but ended up preferring the color version.
Beautiful Glenn.(y)
Thanks!
Exceptional!
Thank you
Interesting - good eye.
Thanks Allan
Excellent image Glenn. There are many lines but they are arranged orderly in a great way.
Thank you, Phil

Glenn

This is a wonderful, fascinating image, Glenn! I wouldn't make any changes to it, as I think that would alter its impact. While I can see why people are mentioning converting to B&W I think part of the appeal of this image is the striking color contrasts. To my eye the greens and blues in here along with the browns, shadows and whites add a dynamic flow to the entire scene.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Brilliantly seen and well worth the embarrassing wait with the camera to get it.

I think colour is better for this scene. The natural green landscape contrasts well with the beige man made structure.

This is a wonderful, fascinating image, Glenn! I wouldn't make any changes to it, as I think that would alter its impact. While I can see why people are mentioning converting to B&W I think part of the appeal of this image is the striking color contrasts. To my eye the greens and blues in here along with the browns, shadows and whites add a dynamic flow to the entire scene.
Thanks Connie...I appreciate it
I would have added my voice to those who urged a b&w conversion, but Connie convinced me that color is best for this striking image.
Thank you...since I also have the B&W version, I will try to remember to post it here when I get back home to my computer.
Brilliantly seen and well worth the embarrassing wait with the camera to get it.

I think colour is better for this scene. The natural green landscape contrasts well with the beige man made structure.
Thank you...

Glenn

Just a wild thought.
I wonder what the structure and shadows would look like in monochrome, with everything organic in color, or maybe just the view out the windows in color. It would be like a road to oz. I rarely like selective color, but it occasionally works. Love to play.
Gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom