Critique Shadows

I drove to this area about 20 minutes from our rented vacation home to photograph the fields of corn. The fence and its shadows made far better subjects.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These are nicely seen.
The vast vast vast majority of people would have walked by, never giving the light and shadows a second glance.
It is the age old question: Are you an artist because you see differently, or do you see differently because you are an artist.
Gary

I like the 2nd and 3rd ones a lot. The curved lines work well together. I am not crazy about the first one. The lines lead to whatever in the distance. That would interest me more than the foreground.

Try flipping the first image horizontally. Lines then lead left to right- which at least for our culture is more "natural."
I tried it, and liked it better.
I thought of it because I am working on a large piece for a business. Art director wants all birds going left to right, so I had to flip a couple.
They do not look correct to me, but I am the only person that knows. Otherwise I think she is right, they look better.
Just a thought
Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to Greg, Allan and, again, Gary!

I am not crazy about the first one. The lines lead to whatever in the distance.
I like that we don't know what they lead to. When I captured the image, it showed what the lines lead to. Leaving it up to the imagination makes the image more appealing to me. Also, when showing what the lines lead to, other items are included in the scene that make it less attractive.

Try flipping the first image horizontally.
I tried it. When displaying the image on its own, it really doesn't matter to me whether the lines lead from right to left or left to right. However, when displaying all three shadow images together as a triptych in the order shown above, I like the flipped version a lot better because the two outer images then "point" toward the center image.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom