Shaft of Light

We visited Carlsbad Caverns in late June on the way home from a cross country trip. Apparently we hit the premier time for this phenomenon where the sunlight streams through the Bat Cave entrance in a shaft of light. I learned of this from one of the rangers in the cave. I rushed to get my good gear and get back in time, worried that I would not have a good spot. Lo and behold, I was the only, the only! person with a camera pointed at this sight! I couldn't believe it! It was really really cool to watch the light beam grow. Anyways, here are a couple of different looks/angles. I hope I represented it well enough.

D700 + 28-70 or 20 2.8

9631877287_6b4ddd525a_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DEL_0148 by Reptile Guy, on Flickr

9635112198_0d29820c2e_b.jpg

DEL_0178 by Reptile Guy, on Flickr

9635111980_93bb312ab1_b.jpg

DEL_0181 by Reptile Guy, on Flickr

that is the strongest light source I have ever seen. Looks like something from star wars.
great capture.

Real Name
Alvin
That's intense lighting. Really cool. I've never seen this before. You
were very fortunate.

This might catch on like the firefall in Yosemite.

Luck favors the prepared.

Cheers.
Alvin

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Great timing and nice captures!

We will be there at the end of October. Any suggestions for shooting there? Tripod allowed? Did you see the bats?

Thanks everyone. I still can't believe it wasn't a bigger deal to other photogs. @Karen, I don't think you will see the light beam at that time of year although you can check. Tripods are allowed and I had no problems with mine. Just be concious of people wanting to pass you on the trail. I hardly used my flash because it wrecked the light and colors. I just cranked up my ISO and used the pod. We didn't stay to see the bats because the kids were hungry and the rangers told us that the bat numbers are down this year so the exit is not as spectacular as usual.

There are so many formations that I could have spent 2 days down there. And that was just the Big Room. We didn't even do any of the tours because of young children.

Latest threads

Top Bottom