Shaking my head at the D700....

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by stayathomedad, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I really don't get the D700...

Is it for people who are too cheap or who cannot afford a D3?

Or is it a FX backup body for D3 users?

Shaking head.... :Angry:

2. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

Me also. I posted a thread just like yours moments after the release info hit the airways.

It is like two steps forward and one step back.

I guess it is like covering all the bases and then getting a shortstop.

3. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    It is ideal for people who want D3 quality, without D3 size, and at a lower price. But not low enough a price for some. :smile:

4. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    It could be all the things you mentioned to various people. To me it is the natural upgrade to my D200, the camera I've been wanting for 11 years. It is the digital F100 to me. I finally get rid of the DX 1.5 crap factor.

I was too poor to buy the F5 at it's time, but I used the F100 instead. Now I am too cheap to get the D3, but will have the D700 (or two if I really fall in love with it).

5. marioni

marioni

Jan 22, 2006
    It's for people who want full frame sensor without having to pay 5,000$ for body with built in grip they dont want, and 11fps they will never use.

What's so difficult to understand?

Words out of my mouth. Although, I've only waited 3 years for this camera, instead of your 11. :) 

6. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

For me it is more about realism that being cheap. Flagship camera residual values get crucified worse than driving a luxury car out of the dealership.

I'll confess I was on the Gary Mayo bandwagon for the D3x announcement also...not because I needed this camera, but because I was hoping for even more downward pressure on the D3 (having had D2x's and seeing the derisory price for secondhand versions I was not about to go through that again in a hurry).

The D700 rumours caught me completely by surprise - I had been pressurising a London pro-dealer about the D3x and then I hear it is to be a very different camera launched.

And the D700 is right for me on so many levels - smaller than the D2/D3 body but with the very latest sensor and features to improve it, much cheaper than the D3 so my pricing threshold has been met, and it is the camera I had been hoping for over a period of years now since buying the D70 (I've wanted a smaller pro-qual high-ISO master camera for events for some time).

So that's why I 'get' the D700 and I think there will be a very big market for it.

It isn't a retrograde step, it isn't two steps forward and one back, but it is certainly set to be a big hitter in the DSLR marketplace.

Hope that helps to explain the excitement on this and other forums, but if not then I've made my best attempt so apologies!

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

some of us don't wana carry around a big brick of a gizmo. i'm sure there's many d3 owners that would rather have the 700...for me, this is just what the doctor ordered!!!

8. Its really not difficult.

D3 - big
    D700 - small

Is it for people who are too cheap or who cannot afford a D3?

Did you type that and keep a straight face? A hell of lot of people do not want to carry large bodies around. Price doesn't come into it.

9. Honestly, it's to get the full frame D3 photo quality for less.

Who wouldn’t want it? You guys had it with film and I think we were long overdue to get that size back in digital at a decently affordable price point.

Hey, if they sold a cheaper version like the D80 was to the D200 with FX sensor, they'd sale even more of them. :biggrin:

My statistics may be wrong, but probably 90% of us can't justify a $5,000 DSLR body.

That may be because 90% of us here are not pro's getting paid for our work, but rather we’re hobbyists.

Besides price, here is why I don’t need a D3 and its price:

I don't shoot sports, so I don’t need the speed.

I don't shoot PJ in the elements so I don't need the weather sealing.

I don't shoot 1,000's of photo's a day, so I don't need the shutter life, extra memory card slot, or battery power.

I definitely don't want the extra weight the pro body camera carries from its tougher construction.

All I want in the end is ultra affordable full frame D3 quality images. :cool: 

That said, I'm not going to wait any longer to get in to a FX DSLR. No way will I wait for the D80 version to pop up in 5 years. So I think I'll be paying the $3,000 and try to keep it a while. :smile:

10. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I prefer small cameras. For street photography...I'd rather look like a typical tourist as oppose to a "Pro" while trekking around Manhattan.

The most common focal length I use for my panoramas is 35mm in the DX format. A D700 with a simple 50mm prime sounds perfect. Funny, my first SLR was with an OM1 and a 50mm 1.8 zuiko. Things have a way of coming back :) 

D700 by Xmas 2008 !

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    yes.

is there a problem with that?

or is there some requirement that you have to spend tons of money to get the best image quality nikon has to offer? :rolleyes: 

ricky

12. Hmmm D70----- D700. Maybe a D500 or D400 F.F. in the future with less features to pick up those that won't jump on now? Makes sense to me. And if the D700 performs well battery wise why get the Battery pack? And if you have the D300 with the pack it is interchangeable. I'll bet the 700 goes under 2k by Christmas. Might be some flaws in the thinking but from what has happened so far might be close. Well I have to go fly now. Hope this problem gets solved.

13. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I think the objection to the camera is going to diminish when the world see's the Images that this "baby brother D3" captures. Iv own at least twenty differnt camera's In my life, mostly Nikon also but Canon, Pentax, Rollei twins 4X5 and even an 8X10. And I loved every one for a differnt reasons. I can"t find one reason to object to the D700. What not to love? Its going to be a Nikon Classic. I can see getting one for my 85 1.4 AIS and welding it on. Another for my 24 2.8 and doing the same. Its Nikons Digital gate way back to full frame 24X36 for "everyone." I was going to get another D3. But now Im thinking of getting a couple of D700.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  14. Um... why angry? It's a full-frame body at a more affordable price than the D3. Smaller and lighter as well. Not everybody needs or wants a full pro body. Even if I could "afford" a D3 I'm not sure that I would buy one. But the D700 is something I would carry and use and happily swap lenses w/ my film bodies without going nuts about the crop factor thing.

Personally, I think it's brilliant :) 

15. Now there's a realistic post :smile:

16. That, and for me it would be the benefit of an on-board flash, noting previously it's benefits in commander mode, as well as using it for quick fill flash for grab shots when digging out the speedlight is inconvenient or impractical.

17. How can you not want this camera. I want a light, FF camera with great high ISO performance. This is it!! I'll use my D2Xs as my pro body with a crop factor for all of my sports and bird shooting. Seems like the best of both worlds for me.

18. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    I think people are taking exception to your phrase "for people who are too cheap", as do I. I don't know your financial situation here are some points to consider:
    1. For an amateur, $3000 is a lot to drop on 1 body, never mind $4-5000 for a D3.
    2. For a pro, the name of the game is net earnings from your business. The more you spend on equipment, the less earnings you acquire. So as a pro, I would think you would weigh the pros and cons of each body to come to a purchase decision.
    I am what you might call a semi pro. I have a day job, but have started a studio on the side, to build a business I can retire into in a few years. I don't need the speed, or the weight and size of a D3, but the FX sensor makes a lot of sense for about 75% of my work. The D700 seems to be the perfect partner to my D300. It's not that i am being cheap, but I'm looking for the best body that meets my business needs, with out needless expense.

19. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    It is about many things including the marketplace. It is Nikon's answer to the 5D and the 5D II that is rumored ( I have not seen any cellphone photos) replacement.

20. rjlichtman

rjlichtman

Apr 17, 2008
    Michigan
    It appears to me to be a nicely featured camera body for people who are looking for a smaller body with similar features to the D3, but a lower price point. I think the D700 will do very well. I still prefer my D3 and have no post decision regrets.

--bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.