1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shallow Depth of Field

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Maji, Oct 6, 2008.

1. I am fascinated by images with shallow DOF and Bjorn's website gave me some inspiration. While I wait for a couple to arrive via the brown truck, I decided to use the one that brown already delivered. BTW, got them from eBay at $9.95 a piece. The following are using a Rondenstock Heligon-XR 90/1.4. The problem is that is fixed focus as I just jam it on a Nikon tube and use it.

Miniature Rose
    2916990535_5ff5b46918_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Clematis Petal Tip
    2917003939_08b263d268_b.jpg

Red and White Hibiscus
    2917015195_cdaefc6706_b.jpg

2. Those are some unique, interesting pics. I love shallow DOF as well.

3. Also, what is the Nikon 200-500 f/4 lens you have listed in your signature, I've never heard of it, but it's something I may be interested in...

4. Xenon... I will correct my posting.. it is the 200-400VR.

5. Great Shots!

6. i also like a shallow dof but these look oof to me
    i need something to grab onto

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    That last one is a beauty...but I must ad it surely messed with my eyes...whoa.

8. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Saj... hope you are ready for the Voodoo Music Festival... I think REM will be here this year.

Randy... You are right about the images being OOF. The DOF is shallow... perhaps in the range of 1/16 of an inch. Being handheld, the process of clicking the shutter is enough to throw the images OOF. Thanks for your comment, I will try something different next time.

Seneca... I was walking around my backyard peering at all the flowers (and leaves) through that lens. This one really stood out. It is almost like an "eye twister".

9. I like #2 alot but must admit I am totally lost on what the brown truck was bringing.
    glenn

10. Threecats... sorry for the confusion. I should definitely been clearer. I bought a couple of these X-Ray lens over eBay and am waiting for brown to deliver them. :) 

Thanks for looking and your comments.

11. I just don't get the fascination with X-Ray lenses. In the samples I've seen, they blur everything, making dreamy abstracts. For me, blurred backgrounds are coolest when they're used to enhance something that's sharply in focus, and almost any close focusing lens can do that. Heck, your Tammy 90 is famous for it. Even the lowly 35/2 can do it.

104065379.gif

12. Nice image Uncle!

I just like that dreamy abstract of the X-Ray lens. It is something different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.