Shame

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    As some of you know I also do model railroading, I have a separate room just for it. I was out there early this morning, a little angry at an expensive steam locomotive for being balky, giving me trouble in general. I locked the door and came into the main house and turned on the television where I immediately saw the devastation along the Gulf coast. I saw a man on the roof of his flooded home watching a neighbors house burn. I glanced toward the bedroom where I slept so good last night, and the announcer was speaking of doctors and nurses working without sleep to treat injuries. I poured myself that second cup of coffee as the voice told me of people with no water, no electricity... no home. And, suddenly I was ashamed of myself for being angry about such trivial things.
    Just ashamed of myself.
    Jarrell

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sometimes you just have to recognize how well off most of us are, and be thankful for what we have. :smile:

3. Nice thought Jarrell. Most of us are very fortunate that we have never had to evacuate our homes and then watch as the devastation occurs. I too feel so sad for those that were impacted by this storm. A significant number of trained volunteers from my state just left to go assist the good people of that area. They will need it.

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    We are only human after all, but sometimes it takes a severe dose of reality to yank us back to the things that are really important. Don't beat yourself up too much, you are a good, decent man and freely offer your help to many. We all do what we can.......

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I understand how you feel. Whenever I see similar a situation, or just the sub-standard conditions others live in compared to me with my "toys", I feel somewhat "guilty". To put these into perspective, here are two quotes from the famous contemporary philosopher, Eric Hoffer:

"By all odds, earliest man, so naked to the elements and to deadly enemies, should have existed in a state of constant shock. We find him instead the only lighthearted being in a deadly serious universe. . . . He alone, with childish carelessness, tinkered and played, and exerted himself more in the pursuit of superfluities than of necessities. Yet the tinkering and playing, and the fascination with the nonessential, were a chief source of the inventiveness which enabled man to prevail over better-equipped and more-purposeful animals."

"The necessary has never been man's top priority. The passionate pursuit of the nonessential and the extravagant is one of the chief traits of human uniqueness. Unlike other forms of life, man's greatest exertions are made in the pursuit not of necessities but of superfluities."

6. Jarrell,

We need these reminders of reality ever so often. We tend to think the world revolves around us. There are so manu things that happen every day around this world that we are not aware of. Thanks for the reminder. I was raised in the southeast and remember storms that would come through. The wife and I have prayed for the folks in the track of katrina. It can be absolutely devastating.

7. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Jarrell,

Thanks for sharing your feelings. This forum has made me think more about the fortunes of people around the globe, and now particularly the misfortunes of your countrymen in the southeast. Although there are plenty of opportunities here to be of help to others or do some community work, I haven't done much about it, apart from donating blood from time to time and some giving some other material donations to various organisations. Makes me think I could do a lot more.

I can very well subscribe to what Ken posted.

8. Jarrell, sometimes it's not so important how we are at any given point in time, but rather how we respond to events that can change our point of view. It seems to me that you have humbly accepted the gentle prodding to have a grateful heart, which is more than I can say for myself at times. Thanks for the reminder of practising humanity!

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Jarrell - I can't begin to tell you how moved I was by your message starting this thread. I too have watched a number of disasters like this unfold and then found myself upset over some trivial thing.

But, this time, it's hitting home - my youngest daugther (sho just joined this forum last week) lives a couple of blocks from the point where the levee broke in New Orleans last night. She is here in Texas with us and safe (which is obviously the most important thing), but we are pretty certain that her first floor apartment is completely flooded. We don't have any definitive information and won't for a while, but at least she's safe!

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jarrell :

To be angry about almost anything that can occur in a person's life is to be human. To ignore when others are in need is inhuman. You have no need to be ashamed - you recognised the hurt of others and empathised with their need.

Given that I make a substantial part of my living reviewing, analysing, and hopefully preventing industrial accidents and disasters, I spend a lot of time thinking about "worst case scenarios". I've spent many hours around accident scenes, and I've been part of the teams that tell people that their loved ones won't be there for them again. I'd like to hope that my work makes even some small difference in all of these awful moments, by prevention, mitigation, or even just detecting or learning about disasters.

Do I have moments of annoyance and anger with much less important things ? Why, yes, of course I do, as I'm just another human being. I'm as prone as any, perhaps sometimes more so, in having my moments of pique about relatively trivial matters.

The critical choice between humanity and inhumanity is that any of us steps back from the petty irritations, looks at the truly important things when one finds them, and acts with empathy, respect, and dignity when one tries to address them.

John P.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. If you weren't such a decent person, you'd have never given it a second thought.

13. Brew

Brew Guest

Just remember that when these same tragedies strike foreign countries the good old USA (that everyone likes to bash) is usually the first ones to send in aid.
    Don’t worry none of these countries that we have aided in the past will not help out with our tragedy and you know what, we don’t need them. We have plenty of people that will go down there and pitch in any way they can. The rest of us have to continue working, spending and paying taxes to keep the economy moving and help pay for this.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone down there.

14. God's Power is Humbling

God's power is undeniable. We live in a hustle-bustle world that often allows us to forget how fragile and fleeting our life is on this earth. We are blessed, as photographers, to be able to witness and attempt to capture special moments in time, to enjoy and savor later. Every photographer I know has benefited from the experience of photography. This is evidenced by your original post. Compassion that starts with passion. Our thoughts and prayers sincerely go out to all peoples who are suffering in this world today. The next step is action.

Thanks again for your post, and Happy Shooting,

15. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    These people have it bad

But, God willing, it will all be ok in the end.
    I hope.
    Jarrell

16. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I agree with you in that the USA is usually the first country to jump in and help others and also that your country is being bashed a lot lately (and not so lately). I'm most thankful for the help that my country of birth and my country of choice have received from you people in the USA.

But there are lots of countries and people who wish to help your countrymen in the wake of hurricane Katrina. I just saw this on CNN and thought I share it:

"The State Department said offers of help had been received from:

Australia, Austria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, China, Columbia, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, Germany, Guatemala, Greece, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Philippines, Portugal, South Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, the United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela."

I sincerely hope that the offers of help are not only verbal, but practical.

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I know for a fact...UK and Canada are already there on site.

18. We've got money on the way, medical staff on the way, and we'll be sending Ontario Hydro crews. We sent them for the hurricanes in FLA last year, and we'll keep on sending them as long as you need them (if ever you see one of those crews, stop by and say hi, friendly guys and dedicated to helping, they all leave their families here to go help). Just because this info doesn't hit the general news doesn't mean it's not happening. We're all pitching in. You Louisana & Mississippi folks just got my next set of lenses!!! Oh well, they need it more than I do right now.

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank you Sandi ..Thank you Canada, thank you UK and thank you all.

It is a horrible disaster.

20. Gale, you're not gonna believe this, but apparently even Fidel Castro made a direct offer of donations, medical supplies, personnel, etc and this is coming from a poor country!! I made my donation to Habitat for Humanity, they're gonna help rebuild the homes that weren't insured. They make the new owner of the home kick in with so many hours worth of labour along side the volunteers and give them a mortgage that is handle-able... good organization.