Shamu Picture

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by MikeyD40, Jul 20, 2007.

1. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Is there anything else I could have done to make this picture better?

I shot this with my 55-200 on "P" mode, 1/100, f/5.0, ISO 400

Shamu.

2. Well, I'm no expert, but nope, I think you got it quite nicely! Beautiful shot! You even got the girl flying really nice! Nope, nothing that can be done on this one! Keep em comin!

3. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Thanks Cajun Angel! I just wish Shamu and the rider were not so lost in the crowd...u know!?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good shot of the huge Orca.
    Yep the croud is always a prob

5. It's a nice shot and you've caught the moment very well.
    But as you asked, a slightly higher shutter speed would make the orca and the girl slightly sharper and the camera would increase the aperture which would blur the crowd a little more: perhaps if you had used shutter priority metering and set 1/125 second, the camera would have set the aperture to f/4.5 which would have given you a slightly better photo. The other thing which would make a slight improvement would be a lower viewpoint, but I guess you didn't have any choice about this.
    Hope this helps

Alan

6. Great shot Mikey!

I agree with your comments re the crowd; in addition to Alan's comments re the shutter speed / aperature, maybe you could try blurring them a little in post processing, if you have the software / skills.

If not here is a purchasing / learning opportunity..... I know I seem to be spending a lot of time / money trying to get better. If you don't have Photo Shop; I believe there are quite a few low cost alternatives that can do this.

The reason I mention this is not because I think you will be able to transform this image exactly as you would like, but that image development / processing has always been a major part of good photography.

You can consider this to be a gentle "pull" toward your own development in post processing. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  7. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

great shot and with no VR?

8. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Thanks Gale…the crowd made the shot interesting.

Thanks for the tips, i will definitely try to find a Shamu alternative...to practice on.

Cool..thanks for the info. I do have Photoshop, I just don’t have the time to practice with it.

Thanks! The VR was my Camera resting on my knee…he he he…I need to try a VR lens sometime.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I could not live without VR:>)))

VR VR VR rules........

I have the 70-300 VR...80-400 VR and the 24-120 VR:>))))))

10. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    I was looking into getting the 18-200 VR, but funds are eluding me right now. How is that 24-120 VR?

11. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    My wife LOVES Orcas. She actually tried out to be a trainer for SeaWorld when they had their Ohio location but swimming that orca tank in February isn't what I would consider a fair interview.

Beautiful shot! I like the fact you got the trainer and the whale in-flight. MAGIS! MAGIS! (MORE! MORE!)

12. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    ya there is something about Shamu, that has caught my attention all these years...Wow..i think that tank is like 50 degrees...geez what an interview. Thanks for the comment..i really wanted a good pic so i could get it blown up!