Shanghai 2011

More to come if anybody is interested:

1)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shanghai, the Bund

Great photograph...I'm interested in seeing more!

Glenn
Thanks Glenn.

The first photo was from a bridge over Suzhou Creek, looking down to the Garden Bridge (Waibaidu Bridge), that was restored in 2008. The bridge was removed in 2008 and sent it to a shipyard for extensive restoration... it reopened a year later.

So where do we start? The Bund, a waterfront area in central Shanghai, along the Huangpu River, facing Pudong. Probably the #1 Tourist attraction in Shanghai:

2)

Shaghai, the Bund

Definitely; I'd love to see more!
lyndee : More? OK.

Bund means embarkment, levée. A long promenade along the river, with great views of Pudong across the river, and on the other side, a look down to the main road lined with colonial buildings.

3)

Shanghai, the Bund

Really like this shot...! :cool:

"Please sir, can I have some more...?" :biggrin:
Glad you like it William.

Here is another one from the levée, as it gets darker.

4)

Shanghai, the Bund

Great work. Please show all that you have.
Thanks for the compliment.

We spent a total of two weeks in Shanghai, on three occasions in 2010-2011, including the 2010 Expo... so as you imagine I have quite a lot of photos that will never get posted. I'll pick the ones I like most.

Weather was a problem for us in Shanghai; we didn't get a lot of rain, but it was cloudy most of the time... so a lot of dull shots. And there is always pollution obstructing the views. But when the night comes, it seems to get better.

5)

Really like it. Post some more JC!
Thanks Alex.

I also posted a couple more in another tread:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=306136

Here is another one from the Bund, looking across the river toward Pudong.

6)

Shanghai History Museum

Please post more - I am planning a trip to Shanghai and any tips would also be appreciated. Thank you.
You're going to like Shanghai, I've been to China six times, about 4 weeks each time, and Shanghai is one the places I liked the most in China... others being Hong Kong and the Jiuzhaigu Valley.

Plenty of little gems that most tourist don't get to see or notice, like this exhibit at the Shanghai History Museum.

How long are you staying? On a tour or on your own?

7)

Real Name
John A Alexander
You're going to like Shanghai, I've been to China six times, about a month each time, and Shanghai is one the three places I liked the most in China... the others being Hong Kong and the Jiuzhaigu Valley.

Plenty of little gems that most tourist don't get to see or notice, like this exhibit at the Shanghai History Museum.

How long are you staying? On a tour or on your own?
Sounds good. I'll be there for a week on my own.

Thanks.

Great shots, especially like the first. It's one part I've not been yet.

I've been each year for the past 5 years for between 3-4 weeks as my wife is from shanghai. It's a great place and would move there were it not for the kids I think.

There's so much too see and do there, so I would advise going on trip advisor or just look around for where you want to visit.
Nanjing rd, the old town temple, lujiazui area,shops and looking over to the bund, plus the IFC building(best to get there an hour before sun set and hand around to get a good spot. Just make sure you have a cpl).
Then there's the food, so many good places to eat, send me a pm if you want a list.
I generally take 2-3 thousand shots each trip, a lot of family shots though, but its also great for street photography as its so busy and everyone and I mean everyone carries a dslr.

Also don't worrie about taking kit out as I've found it to be one of the safest places I've been, just watch for people(women mainly) trying to scam you.dont go anywhere with prity women you don't know and watch taxis. Tube around or walk where possible, the tube system is great.
Can also catch a bullet train to Suzhou(1hour) or Nanjing(2hours).
Only issue you could have at times is language, as I have my wife with me I never have trouble.

I will post up so pics also.

Travel tips

Please post more - I am planning a trip to Shanghai and any tips would also be appreciated. Thank you.
We used the Lonely Planet Shanghai City Guide (5th ed. 2/2010), which I would highly recommend.

The subway is very useful, and we used it extensively. We got 2 "Transport Card" on arrival in 2010 at the Pudong Airport and kept recharging them from time to time; we returned them at the airport before our 2011 departure for credit. We used the "MetroNav Shanghai" app on an iPod touch to figure out the best subway connections to our destination... highly recommended.

I also recommend taking the open top double-decker tour bus that goes around the main sites. We took it a couple of times, get on and off as you want. There is a stop on People Square across the street from the Méridien hotel, another one by the Peace Hotel on the Bund, and another one by the Oriental Pearl Tower. Great platform for candid photography.

The entrance to the excellent Shanghai History Museum is included in the Pearl Tower ticket, but you could just pay for it separately, as we did, if you don't want to join the crowds waiting to get up to the viewing platforms. Hard to believe in Shanghai, but we were almost alone there around 6:00pm. Photography is allowed and I had no problem getting in with my daypack camera bag.

I also found the Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall very interesting. A stand alone building located on People Square, across the street from the Shanghai Museum. Photography is also allowed, and you get some good outside views through the glass panes.

We were using Starwood points for hotel stays, and got a great deal at the Four Points by Sheraton, Daning. Close to a subway station, it is located in small modern shopping district with restaurants and an excellent 2 floor supermarket next door. The Royal Méridien Shanghai, located on East Nanjing Road, next to People Square, would have been the perfect location, but it was a lot more expensive.

Great shots, especially like the first. It's one part I've not been yet.
Thanks pmac. The first shot was taken late afternoon (17:22) as the sun was getting lower and shining on Pudong.

I've been each year for the past 5 years for between 3-4 weeks as my wife is from shanghai. It's a great place and would move there were it not for the kids I think.
Lucky you... but I'm not moving there, too crowded.

There's so much too see and do there, so I would advise going on trip advisor or just look around for where you want to visit.
Nanjing rd, the old town temple, lujiazui area,shops and looking over to the bund, plus the IFC building(best to get there an hour before sun set and hand around to get a good spot. Just make sure you have a cpl).
Then there's the food, so many good places to eat, send me a pm if you want a list.
Good advise... we didn't have to try the food though.

...its also great for street photography as its so busy and everyone and I mean everyone carries a dslr.

Also don't worrie about taking kit out as I've found it to be one of the safest places I've been.
I agree with that. One thing I like about China, is that people don't mind you taking pictures of them... and often want a picture of them with you, well at least with my wife.

Tube around or walk where possible, the tube system is great.
Totally agree.

Looking forward to see your pictures.

Ive visited two of the many water towns just outside the city, will find the names of the exact ones ,from the wife.

There great to look around but like everything in china are very touristy,well one of the ones I visited was. The other not so much. you had to pay to enter both i went to one you could easily spend the whole day there it was so large.

About to head out but will start a thead later and post some form there also.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom