Share 3 pieces of your photographic knowledge...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 25, 2008.

1. 1. I always stop down half a stop from wide open while shooting with a fixed aperture lens, maximizing for bokeh while getting a slight pop of sharpness.

2. If shooting telephoto handheld, I like to shoot while kneeling down on one knee while resting my left elbow. It helps in supporting the camera especially for non-stabilized lenses. I learned this while playing a first person shooter on Xbox! :biggrin:

3. While shooting through glass/fences, etc., always butt the lens up against it. You can get a clear shot with no glare and image distractions.

Share your knowledge about photography. I want to learn your kung-fu techniques. :smile:

2. This is geared towards novice shooters......

Set your camera up before you head out the door. Set up white balance ,ISO etc. for anticipated conditions, this saves time in the field...

Learn the controls on your camera so you can change settings on the fly (by feel) without removing your eye from the view finder...

Ensure the zipper on your camera bag is closed before you dump everything on the floor...

On my D200 I was always accidentally dialing in neg. exposure comp with my sausage fingers. I changed the way I handle the camera and keep an eye on exp. comp in the viewfinder.........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. 1. Don't frame too tightly in camera. Leaving some room expands the options for making prints with aspect ratios other than 3:2.

2. Make it a goal to expend as much effort composing for the background as you do composing for the subject. A good portrait set against a bad background is a lousy composition.

3. After you set up your camera, turn all of your attention to making the subject comfortable and provoking a flattering expression. Good technicals don't equate to a good portrait. And no "say cheese" smiles. A real frown is greatly preferrable to a phony smile.

4. With women especially, all women love to be flattered beyond belief. I have a big mouth when it comes to camera and lovely ladies! :tongue:

5. okcandids

okcandids

Jan 12, 2008
    Southern NH
    For portraits, keep the focus point on or around the eye to maximize it being in focus (and certainly the sharpest part of the picture).

When shooting wildlife (back yard birds, in my case), and using long-lens technique, rapid-fire 2-3 pictures to maximize of getting one with acceptable sharp focus.

When shooting wildlife, try not to make any sudden movements. :)

6. Surprisingly, I find that men are just as concerned about how they'll come across in pictures. The difference is, ladies want to be beautiful, and men want to be cool. It's much harder to get a man to relax and smile in front of the camera... unless he's posing with a beautiful woman :wink:.

7. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    When stalking wildlife, especially birds, don't walk directly towards them and NEVER make eye contact. Give the appearance that you do not see them. Sunglasses help a lot. Before taking the shot, raise the camera to your eye then swing it in their direction to break up the appearance of your face. Never wear a white T-shirt, neutral natural colors like tan, brown, or green. Sometimes when you are in your shooting area it helps to stop and pause for a minute to let them acclimate.

Keep a logbook of basic settings you use often, especially studio settings that you may use often.

Make file organization and backups a part of your routine from DAY ONE. It's much more work to have to go back and organize thousands of shots and back them up "someday".

8. Keep it going, these are all great tips!

9. A landscape/nature bias:

1) Even in this day and age of VR and high ISO, a tripod is still an invaluable piece of gear to have with you while shooting.

2) In a pinch, a camera's self timer can be used as a remote trigger if you forgot yours at home.

3) Experiment with lens and extention tube combinations. I've used an x-tube (PK-13) on my 85, 105, 135, 200, 75-150 and 80-200 with some cool results. It is a 'poor mans' macro in a pinch.

God Bless,
    David

10. Just because you CAN shoot at 1.4 doesn't mean you SHOULD (unless your name is Nute)

Eyes are the windows to making money with child portraits. Get them in focus, and mom will spend lots of money, LOL! I bet you thought I was gonna say something more meaningful, huh?

The sillier and more comfortable you are around kids, the better their portraits will be. I have a no cheese rule in my policies and ask parents to AVOID that word during our sessions. I get natural smiles and laughter because I act like a total clown.

11. Never thought acting like a clown would pay off. :biggrin:

12. 1. Don't shoot from a blind in bear country.
    2. If you're setting up a remote-triggered body at a nest, put a glass jar or bottle there first for awhile so the birds get used to the sight of it and reflections of the glass.
    3. Carry a little spray bottle with water if you want to 'manufacture' some dew-droplets on flowers.

Sean

13. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Is there a story behind this that belongs in the darwin award saftey warning thread??? :biggrin:

14. That was going to be my question, he Sean can't just leave it there, and still wonder what Ted did for a Klondike bar:biggrin:

15. marioni

marioni

Jan 22, 2006
    1. Always try to shoot wide open.
    2. Stop down only if you must.
    3. If you have stopped down to f/2.8, you've stopped down too much.

16. Ha, only in the sense that I told some visiting photogs they'd better think twice about their plans!

17. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Here are three I haven't seen posted yet:
    • Apply thorough metadata to your images as soon as you import them from the camera. You will only have to apply it once as it will stay with every derivative of the image from that point forward. This will save invaluable time later.
    • Be as detailed as possible with image keywords and descriptions. When you know people's name, add it. When you know their nationality, apply it. When you know the brand of guitar, fishing rod, tennis racket, baseball glove, car, golfball, etc, apply it. You never know when a request will come and you need to do a quick, thorough search with no turnaround time.
    • Pay as much attention to the small details as you do the overall picture when composing a photograph. Check the foreground and background for distracting elements creeping in. Look for potentially embarrassing wardrobe malfunctions like missed buttons, wrinkles, ties showing below jacket buttons, open zippers, see-through material, etc. The more you get right before you trip the shutter, the less work you will have to do after.
    This is a good thread idea!

18. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    shoot a shutter speed no slower than the inverse of your len's length, eh, don't shoot slower than 1/200s for a 70-200, or 1/50s with a 50mm

sacrifice higher ISO for higher SS, it's easier to fix noise than motion blur

Backup your images on two places before deleting images from your card !!!

19. 1. When in doubt, shoot in raw: you can always do a quick conversion to JPEG with no other processing by having your computer work for you.
    2. When in doubt, set your aperture to f/8: "f/8 and be there"
    3. When in doubt, shoot several frames in rapid fire: one or more may turn out sharper.

20. Don't automatically trash a bad shot as junk. Study it so you can learn what NOT to do next time. (As Edison said, I have learned 1500 ways not to do it! :smile:)

Gt comfortable with a decent PP program... you shots will look soooo much better!

Always have fun with it. As soon as it's not enjoyable anymore, it's time to take a step back.