Sharing a mistake

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Aug 3, 2008.

1. I wanted to share a mistake I made while doing a paid family shoot. The customers liked this image a lot but due to my mistake it could not be used for the large image they wanted. I set the image up properly by metering the background and setting it at a -1, used two flashes and my camera was on a tripod. I did a run through with the family and even used a marker to indicate where I would snap the pre-focused image. My mistake was in not using continuous mode and snapping a number of images as they walked forward. Instead I tried to take the image when they reached the marker and missed the focus. In the small LCD view it looked fine but later in processing I saw that I had missed the focus. We ended up having to use their second choice for the 20 x 30 image that they wanted.

I share this image only for the purpose of illustration. I won't make that mistake again.

original.

2. gordon,
    i think that this image is password protected

3. Thanks Greg, I fixed it.

4. it's a wonderful point to illustrate, Gordon
    what a beautiful family

thanks for the lesson

5. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi Gordan

originalflipped.

I am probably talking rubbish here but I flipped the image and I prefer it. Reason being that it gives more prominence to the head of the family - ie Dad, although obviously Mum is really in charge.

What do you think?

stew

6. Your welcome Greg and thanks for looking.

Your right Stew, I like it better as well. Course the focus is still off which becomes more apparent as you enlarge this image. Thanks for the idea.

7. It happens to the best of us... :wink:

I like the concept and despite being a little OOF, it's a great shot Gordon.

8. Thanks Brian, it's just that you feel so dumb when you make these kind of mistakes. Another solution would have been to use a wider DOF than the f4 I had my camera set on.

9. Gordon, I remember reading something in the threads about setting one of the focus modes in a pre-set focus that allows the shutter to release only when the subject has entered the place that is in focus. I don't remember the details but it seems like that might be worth considering.

10. Thanks Mike and your right, that too could well be an option. I use AF-on for focusing and had I had it in continuous vs. single, that too would probably have solved the problem. I appreciate your suggestion. One of the things I am trying to convey in this post is the need to consider options before you start the shoot and not during the heat of battle so to speak. So many times in a paid shoot we let ourselves get rushed and make stupid mistakes.

11. That is amazing--still the same line up of folks, just reversed. Wonder why it is? Cultural perhaps-we read from left to right!

PS: everyone knows a teen aged daughter is in charge!!!!

12. I can prove all too often that that's not limited to paid shoots. I'm thankful for your cautionary reminder because it hits home.

13. ". . stupid mistakes. . ."

In my case it's often the best I can do :redface: !

14. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    A mistake is the most valuable tool from which to learn from. Thank you for sharing this, Gordon. :smile:

15. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi

PS: everyone knows a teen aged daughter is in charge!!!! I reckon I have a 2 year old teenager then :biggrin::biggrin:

stew

16. Mine ruled for 20 years!

17. Gordon,

Thank you for sharing this valuable lesson with us all. I am a firm believer that the best learning often comes after failure, not after success. :smile:

I think the concept you used in this image is wonderful, I would love to have a shot of all of us like that some day. :biggrin:

I also find the flipped image stronger, and like Palouse, wonder what it actually is that makes this so?? It must be some "cultural norm" thing (for lack of better terms), Dad moved over a place, and the line ends with the tallest.......dunno, can't put my finger on it, but it's very interesting. And.....makes me wonder what images I've shot would improve from a quick 180?! :biggrin:

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

nice shot, unfortunite ...-(

how bout a group shot and not allowing enough room on the sides for an 8x10 crop? now that's really dumb! lol

19. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thank you for the great advice, Gordon. I really appreciate you taking the time to pass it along.

Excellent shot, nevertheless, and great pose!

20. I agree, I like it better but can not think of a good reason for that.

I hear you Mike, stupidity knows no bounds so to speak. :biggrin:

Me thinks you jest. I have seen some of your excellent shots my man.

Thank you Francis.

Thanks Gretchen I am glad you liked the concept, now if I just could have pulled it off. :frown:

At least I didn't make that error as well Nute. Thanks. :smile:

Thanks for you nice comments, I appreciate it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.