Shark!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Mar 28, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Went to Sea World... Yeah, again..... Beautiful day, jam packed. Didn't get any nice shots, but here's a few mediocre pics:

Shark Says Dun Dun Dun... (my daughter says this):
    [​IMG]

Jumping Baby Shamu:
    [​IMG]

Baby Shamu Power:
    [​IMG]

Baby Shamu Jump:
    [​IMG]

Baby Shamu Jump:
    [​IMG]

Shamu Backflip:
    [​IMG]

Surfin' Shamu:
    [​IMG]

Welp that's it. I've got lots more, but didn't process them, as they are more of the same and not all that great. Oh well, maybe next time I'll do better. It was beautiful there though, nice and warm and lotsa fun. A nice break from all the work we've been doing lately.

2. Certainly got some of the great antics of Baby Shamu. I think on image #2 or #3 I would be tempted to clone out the people and have a complete water background.

3. Very nice shots Gregory!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

My family and I will be at the Orlando Sea World in June!! I can't wait. We have never been! :) :) :) :)

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    "Git that shark Shamu!

Hee hee! So where are you standing for these Gregory? Looks like over on the far side? Are you in the stands? These look great, especially the last one with the girl riding whale-back. The spray looks like molded sheets of glass. I'll bet you had tons of fun.

5. Very nice Gregory,

What camera / lens did you use ?

6. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Great shots.

Love the colors and sharpness. Again, what camera/lens??

7. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Great work Gregory,missed these pictures

Thanks for posting

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Cool pictures.
    This is the reason I only swim in pool. :)

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well about time you showed up with some more Shamu :>))))

You know I just love the Dolphins and the Whales. Great stuff. Boy that baby is getting, or should say, bigggg..

Have to agree with Chris. Sure a different angle than usual.

Thanks so much for sharing.

The Dolphins are cruising the river where I work, close and was thinking I need a 24-120 VR VR VR what do you think.

Cheers
    GaLE

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks! I'm not that great with PS, and if I tried cloning it out, it would look kinda weird and cut and pasty. It's a great sugguestion though.

I think the audience actually adds to the shot though, especially with it being a full house (my wife almost didn't make it in, but she told them I was already in the stadium with my daughters, and they followed her to make sure).

Thanks. You'll love Sea World. We go all the time. In fact we have reefer parties (reefer as in a person that owns and maintains a reef aquarium). And I give out Shamu lunch buckets to the kids that show up and they love - I must have given out at least 100 of them.

Here's Ximina with her's from a while back:
    [​IMG]

Thanks. It was a sunny day, so I was able to use a fast shutter speed, which really froze the water. There. I actually liked that effect too. Fun as always.

We were seated stadium far right in like Row 3, about midway through the show I moved to 2'oclock position - Yup in the stands. I still haven't shot from the position you mentioned. I was thinking about it that day, but there was already a crowd there. I'll be sure to do it next time ;)

That shark is impossible to capture. I shot that at ISO800, f/1,4, 1/50" and used a monopod. I swear that place is lit by candles!

Nikon D2h. For the Shark, I used the 50 f/1,4 for the Shamu shots, I used the 80-200 2.8 ED (the very first ones made with the push-pull zoom).

Thanks Hans! Glad you enjoy them. We haven't been for a while, as we've been quite busy with my daughter's birthday, easter and stuff like that.

So you can surf on Shamu?

Yeah he's growing quite rapidly. I actually like shooting baby shamu better than big Shamu.

For the angle, I like to get slightly above the water line as I think it makes for a dramatic shot. Its a good idea though. I'll try shooting from the water line and maybe from high above in the bleachers next time.

As far as shooting dolphins, depends on how close you are, if the 120 will be enough reach. I don't think VR is necessary, as you'll want to use faster shutter speeds to stop their motion. I'd love to see a shot of your dolphins.