Sharp Shinned Hawk

Discussion in 'Birds' started by greyflash, Mar 30, 2005.

1. This image was taken in the early morning just as the sun peeked over the hills. This sharp shinned hawk is a regular resident in my neighborhood and is not difficult to photograph. I liked the way the sun makes his eye light up.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flash,

Very beautiful. Great light.
    Good job

Gale

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shot Flash, I mean Gordon. 8)

Which lens?

Frank

4. Took this with my 300mm f2.8 lens handheld.

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gordon,

What a nice shot of your hawk.

Someone told me my hawk was a Sharp Shinned Hawk but now I see it's not at all similar.

Here's mine and wonder if anyone knows what kind it is. I have Red Shouldered Hawks around my house but this picture I took out in the country near the dog kennel. I"ve never been able to identify it..

Thanks and best to you,
    Gaye

14929725-M.

6. Very nice Gordon. :) :) :) :) :)

7. Nice Gordon, I have been chasing after raptors during my lunch break I always feel I am either 100 yards to far away or a second from getting the shot before the birds splits... Need to dedicate a day to doing this right...

8. Hi Gaye, I wouldn't take my word for this being a sharp shinned hawk but that is what I was told by a supposed bird expert. There are a lot of similarities to your, beak, short tail, yellow feet, etc. Perhaps mine is immature and your is mature??

Thanks Bryan and Mike, I appreciate your comments. Keep at it Mike and I'm sure you will be successful. I had the same problem with this one so I drove up to it in my car and he didn't spook.