Sharpening and Image Management Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by beaucamera, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Lately I've been sharpening my image masters, PSD's, and then resizing them for the web. It's begun to worry about this practice since I think I might be inadvertently adding unwanted image artifacts to my re-sized images. The problem I am trying to simply my work flow, trying to find a way to save fewer versions of an image that may get used for the web, screen or printed in one or more way.

How do you handled images used for multiple purposes? When do you sharpen? Do you sharpen each application separately?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. Does anyone have any database management suggestions for multiple image uses?

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Do you use in-camera sharpening (JPG) or have sharpening enabled during RAW conversion? If not I think an initial post-capture sharpening of the full-res image is needed to overcome the effects of bayer interpolation and the antialiasing filter.

It's also generally a good idea to sharpen a bit after major resizing, so I do an additional sharpening pass on images after resizing them for the web. For printing I don't have to worry about it because QImage has its own output sharpening.

3. Virginia, I do initial processing of the NEF in NC but do not sharpen there. I then save as a TIFF which I consider my master. All subsequent processing either for the web or for printing is done off of the TIFF and sharpened individually before saving as a JPEG.

4. I guess I may need to do some experimenting. Jeff, I don't do "in camera" sharpening normally, but I'm not sure about enabling during RAW conversion. Where in PSCS2 would I do this. Because I'm still getting used to PSCS2, I not aware of all features.

Gordon, your procedure is similar to mine, but I don't use Capture. I bring my RAW images directly into PSCS2 and then save as the PSD. That would be equivalent to your "TiFF". Are you sharpening your tiff or the subsequently converted images?

All this sure makes for a lot of image types and format. It's also a lot of work keeping track of what is sharpened how and why? Do you use actions to do your sharpening for these different applications?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    On the Detail tab in ACR there's a sharpening slider. You can either turn it off, or configure it to only apply to the preview (that's what I do).

6. Jeff, when I go the the Detail tab in ACR, the default settings are: Sharpening 25, Luminance 0 and Color NR 25. This is all I could find. I didn't see any option for applying it to the preview and/or image. Apparently I have been using the default settings.

Another curious thing I found while playing around was that the camera RAW version is 2.4, even though I have replaced it with the current 3.1 version according to the directions on Adobe's website for CS2. You find this when you go to Calibrate Camera Profile tab in ACR. Is this the same thing that you have under camera profile?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Virginia, to make ACR sharpening apply just to the preview, you need to go to ACR prefs, which is a little circle with a triangle in it up near the top of the windoid. The option is in there.

The Camera Raw version profile is dependent on the image file. The only options are 2.4 or 3.0. I could only find conflicting information on this on Adobe's website, but I'm sure if you ask on the Camera Raw forum on their site, someone authorative would have the answer.

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    That's not telling you the ACR version, but rather just that the profile for your camera that was originally created for ACR 2.4 is still being used. This is nothing to be alarmed about, you'll see the same thing for any camera that was previously supported under ACR 2.4.