Sharpening for offset press 150 lpi

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by KAEPhoto, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I am preparing my first photobook for a wedding client and will be sending images for offset printing CMYK 150lpi. I imagine the sharpening will be different than what I do when sending prints to my HP B9180 inkjet. Does anyone have any thoughts about output sharpening for this press using NX2? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. FWIW, I get the want lists for several regional magazines; the lists specifically ask for no sharpening in any of our submissions. Apparently they do that in prepress before it goes to the offset printer. Is the printer/binder evaluating the images at all before making the book?

Sean

3. Excellent question. I'll check with them and keep at the forums there. My guess is they do not, but I think they offer to send a proof page prior to printing the book. I'll find out what I can and post it here. Thanks for your input.

4. The service is called Shared Ink and it has received good reviews. From what I can tell, they don't edit or evaluate sharpening of images, just print the JPEG pages you send up.

They do have the option of having a few pages printed for proof prior to ordering the book, as well as offering 100% satisfaction guarantee. So I will probably get a proof using several sizes of photos sharpened differently for best output.

Most of what I have read (Fraser, et al.) offers suggested settings for PSCS, so I am not sure what to use with NX, and if I can't get an idea, I'll probably just output as TIFF and use PS for final output sharpening.

I'll repost my results, in case anyone is interested. By the way, the coffetable photobook isn't just for weddings. It would be a great way to present a portfolio or an easy way to show friends and relations samples of your best work. I'll let you know how it works out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.