Sharpening questions

Have been playing with Nik soft and have some questions:

Whats the objetive of the RAW pre sharpener?

Do you sharpen finally your image before or after resizing? Or both maybe dependig the output (web, print ...) ?

The raw sharpening is to compensate for the anti-aliasing filter in your camera.

I generally do my second sharpening step after re-sizing. I view at 100% and sharpen as per the intended output.

I really need to try that NIK software - have heard nothing but good stuff about it.

ADDED: Forgot to mention that you should check the software instructions regarding the raw sharpening step as this generally wants no in-camera sharpening applied. If you're using in-camera sharpening and its retained with your raw editor you would probably be best served by forgoing the raw sharpening step.

Last edited by a moderator:
The raw sharpening is to compensate for the anti-aliasing filter in your camera.
This is only part of the answer. Doing the sharpening in raw(as opposed to in a image or pixel editor like photoshop)means that you are doing it non destructively before you render your image into a color space. All of your edits in raw are only changes to a set of instructions and are at the highest level(16 bit). Once an image is in an editor like Photoshop, from that point on ALL editing to the image(to some degree) is destructive. That is why, when shooting in raw you want to do as much of you editing(as you deem necessary)in your raw software, like Lightroom or Camera Raw.

This is only part of the answer. Doing the sharpening in raw(as opposed to in a image or pixel editor like photoshop)means that you are doing it non destructively before you render your image into a color space. All of your edits in raw are only changes to a set of instructions and are at the highest level(16 bit). Once an image is in an editor like Photoshop, from that point on ALL editing to the image(to some degree) is destructive. That is why, when shooting in raw you want to do as much of you editing(as you deem necessary)in your raw software, like Lightroom or Camera Raw.
I'm aware of the non-destructive advantages of raw editing.

I believe the initial query was pertinent to the language and name of the pre-set in the particular software being discussed.

I generally refer to the step as capture sharpening where NIK, I believe, calls it a raw pre-sharpening.

Thanks Kaith for your inputs. Nik filters in CS4 are destructive work?
I'm aware of the advantge of the reverseible editing and try to use it

You want to not sharpen areas like skies. In camera settings or general sharpening do not take this into account.

Ideally, do noise reduction with an edge mask, then do capture sharpening. This may involve opening the image in PS as a smart object. Then return it to ACR with the edge mask in place, for NR. Then bring it back to ps and do smart sharpen or sharpen the way you want.

Then do final sharpening at final size and resolution. This means you develop each size from the photoshop file as a master.

Ideally, the final sharpening is done on a test print made with various levels sharpening. Glossy and matt are different. Screen images are different. You must make a print as the computer screen is not accurate. Best approximation is at 50 % size and do not create halos.

Thanks Roland, I'll read more about your flow cause I don't know how to use smart objects. One of the majors advantages of the Nik plugins are that you get great results without being an PS expert. Even more, I'm thinking of changing my CS4 for Lightroom for the PP.
Can I do waht you suggest (or something close to it) with LR?

Latest posts

Top Bottom