Sharpie Mini 300 at Bristol TN

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by JohnR, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Here are some pictures from last Saturday. Had a great time!

Before the race, they had an hour of practice laps for the Winston Cup series cars.

Here is Dale Earnhardt junior driving his Winston Cup car. This is a new direction with NASCAR....more safer cars. The wing on the back is new and (if you can see) there is a new spoiler in the front. A couple of other modifications that you can't see have been done to these cars since Dale's father was killed a few years ago. Sunday's race would be the first with these new cars.
    [​IMG]

The National Anthem is played

[​IMG]

And they are off..pace car in front. LOTS of cars in this race. The track is only a 1/2 mile which makes it the smallest in the Winston Cup series.
    [​IMG]

Lots of wrecks! This is just one.

[​IMG]

What was weird was seeing flames come out the side of the car....a lot of cars did this. not sure why. This is Dale Earnhardt Jr. in his Busch series car...his first race in this one.
    [​IMG]

That's it...I won't bore you all with the rest. If you want, you can view them here:
    http://louisvilleky.smugmug.com/gallery/2625434#138574271

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
  2. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Nice shots. Looks like you had a good time.

The flames are just excess fuel burning off in the exhaust.

3. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Nice shots indeed.. but Bristol is not the smallest. Martensville is ..

4. Nice photos John! Bristol is our favorite race weekend of the year - I've been too busy with a new job to do much with cars or cameras, but we couldn't skip our annual spring pilgrimage.

I like those exhaust flares too:
    [​IMG]

And, of course, everyone likes the wrecks in the Busch race:
    [​IMG]

(as long as everyone escapes uninjured):
    [​IMG]

5. Thanks guys.

Racefan, you must have been on corner 4?

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots
    CRASH!!!!!!!!

7. Just entering 4 (Waltrip N on Busch Day) up almost too high (row 52, just under the cover of the suites). I'd guess 4-5 sections past your spot.

8. and its not the Winston Cup anymore.... (I'm a little biased since I work for Sprint Nextel in one of racings cool tracks)

9. Oh yeah, it's the Nextel Cup, sorry!

10. Those are great John.

The flames you see are fuel vapors that ignite in the exhaust. They are moving the exhaust to exit from the right of the car because it is safer then the left side...where it has been located, and the side where the gas man is in the pits. This is normal and happens when the cars are slowing for the corners. Since this used to be happening on the left of the cars (the side away from the crowd) it wasn't as obvious.

Anyway...it looks cool!