1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sharpness and Bokeh @ 85mm / f4.5 - six lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Well, that's not quite right, because one was shot at f/5 (by accident) and another was shot at f/5.6 (because it couldn't open up more). But here is a pretty well controlled informal test of a bevy of lenses in "normal" use...all shooting a revealing object for sharpness, background, and color. The lenses included (not the most logical, just what I own) are as follow:

Sigma 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 APO Super Macro
    Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 ED
    Nikon 85 f/1.8 D
    Sigma 70-300 f/4.0-4.6 APO DG
    Nikon 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 AF-S
    Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 AF-S

I've included full size jpegs in pbase for pixel-peeping....and there are some surprises. The sharpest point is the upper right hand juncture of the back side-rail and cross-bars, so that should be your main focus of interest. This point is just to the right of the center of the lens....perhaps 33% of the way from center to edge.

Have at it and post your comments here.

http://www.pbase.com/hflphotos/test__sharpness_85mm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  2. Harry, I had #'s 3, 2 and 5 as the sharperst (in that order) and then was not surprised when I looked down at the titles/descriptions.

3. A fair amount of convergence with my own opinion, there. Thanks for looking.

4. I'm not sure why you all think the 24-85 is so bad, but it does good for me on my D80. :smile:

Nothing but a resize for this shot. I'm a rookie when it comes to shooting flowers, too.

Edit, and this was shot hand held.

[​IMG]

5. Nice shot, John C. Certainly sharp at this size.

BTW, I didn't say it was "so bad"....what I said was that I thought among my lenses at this focal length it would be the worst...this after using it for about two weeks..and it objectively seems to be....but this is pixel-peeping....full scale inspection of the print...equivalent to a large, large print. At the sizes shown on monitor, or in even an 8x10 print it will do fine.

One of the reason's I was interested was that Thom, Ken Rockwell, and others have praised this lens, while objective testing shows it inferior in sharpness to the 24-85 f/2.8-4, which is the lens Nikon chose to keep in the lineup. Others have dumped upon the lens. I had a chance to pick one up at a decent price, and wanted something to fill the gap between my 12-24 and 80-200, so took a chance. I was curious to see how it fared in a fairly rigorous test.

6. I agree with the order of 3, 2 and 5. I am surprised the Siggy with APO is still a laggard.

7. Sweet effort Harry, thanks for sharing.

8. Hi Maji. Those three are pretty unanimous. I personally think the new Sigma APO (DG) should be in (or at least tied for) the number three spot, but I don't particularly like it's color or especially its bokeh. The older Sigma Super Macro has absolutely lovely color and bokeh, but is clearly not as sharp. And from experience I can tell you it flares quite easily when confronted with high-contrast light-and-bright subjects.

Thanks, Charles. These kinds of comparisons always teach me something....not always what I expect.

9. Samaritan

Samaritan

Dec 29, 2007
    Buckeye State
    I agree with the 3, 2, 5 and I have those three. The 18-135 was one of my first lenses, pretty sharp for what it is. Thanks for the comparison.

10. Larry, there seems to be unanimity that these are three fine lenses. I love both the 85 1.8 and the 80-200, and find the 18-135 gives me more quality out of a walkaround lense than I could hope for. Thanks for looking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.