1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sharpness of 35mm f/2 on a D50

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MikeG76, Jul 28, 2008.

1. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Hi all,

I've been toying around with this lens for a while. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I've been noticing that in areas of a lot of light (direct sunlight) where the distance is large, the sharpness seems to be off quite noticeably. Where as in portraits (or anything close range) the focus looks good.

I'm wondering if anyone can link an unprocessed photo or two of landscapes taken with this lens and a D50 to try to determine whether or not I need to send the lens in for tuning or if I'm over reacting.

The only reason I'm noticing anything is because I am coming from the 18-55 kit lens. Despite what people say, this is an amazingly sharp lens for the cost.

Examples (no pp):

1. f/2.8
    2712537152_92842e0903_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. f/6.3
    2711751913_6e15333e16_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    oddly enough, they look a bit better in jpg format than onscreen in NX2

3. Chris G

Chris G

Sep 12, 2007
    Ohio, USA
    atmospheric conditions and light may be more important than the quality of the lens when you are talking about the 'sharpness' of objects in the distance. In a side-by-side comparison with your 18-55, do you see a difference in the exact same conditions? Any way, the 18-55 is pretty darn good at 35......

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

send it in ...on the d50 was silly sharp at f5

5. RonL

RonL

Aug 5, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Any sharpening to jpg that's not happening onscreen in NX2?

6. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Not that I know of. I made sure to turn off all sharpening in the camera before taking the shots. I transfered them to the computer via Nikon Transfer, opened them up in NX2 and then went right to save them as jpg's with the highest quality.

I've taken many shots at this pseudo swamp with my 18-55 and I don't remember them coming out like this. I'll try to dig one up in comparable light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.