She actually made him smile

My Dad is a very serious guy but put him around his grandkids and he is all smiles.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WOW,

beautiful image, child and Grandpa's smile.

I don't care much for B/W, but this one is truly stunning.

Thanks for sharing

Real Name
Chris
Wow Eric, great composition and exposure! It looks like you shot it with black and white in mind. And your family members look palatibly happy in this photo. Thanks for the post.

Thnxs everyone for your kind words. It is always nice when you can capture a moment like this.Someone I shared the picture with asked me why the BW conversion? Here is the color version. I'd love your opinions..

Think I prefer the B&W, myself

4labs said:
Thnxs everyone for your kind words. It is always nice when you can capture a moment like this.Someone I shared the picture with asked me why the BW conversion? Here is the color version. I'd love your opinions..
This color version could use a little Gamma & Highlights increase, imo, but it's still nice.

Real Name
Chris
While the color version is also a good photo of the interaction between your father and the little girl (daughter or neice) the colors are representational of reality, and do not have a statement of their own to make.

The juxtaposition of the characters and other elements however makes a strong statement. Black and white isolates forms and so gives more power to the image.

Like Steve said, the color photo is punchable, but I think you made the right decision to use monochrome.

Eric,

One of the best parent / grandparent / child interaction shots that I've seen. You can just feel the affection.

I'm not normally a B+W person, but I agree that it works well in this case because, as someone else mentioned, the colorful top pulls my eyes away from their smiling faces. ;-)

Regards,

Frank

Wonderful shot, definitely one to print big and hang on the wall. I'd have to agree the B/W works better here, the bright colors of the girls shirt compete for attention with the true center of interest. Plus the B/W version has the timeless, almost dream look to it. Well done.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom