She actually made him smile

Discussion in 'People' started by 4labs, Apr 23, 2005.

1. My Dad is a very serious guy but put him around his grandkids and he is all smiles.

[​IMG]

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Beautiful capture, 4labs

Bet he'll smile again when he sees it in print!

3. What a great portrait! She looks like she's stolen his heart away. Great tonality in the B&W! It's very effective!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW,

beautiful image, child and Grandpa's smile.

I don't care much for B/W, but this one is truly stunning.

Thanks for sharing

5. Excellent image and a beautiful child. No wonder your dad is smiling.

6. That's a capture to treasure for the ages! Wonderful smile, on both of them. Thanks for sharing this.

7. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    That is just a great picture. I'm sure the color shot was nice, but black and white really brings out feelings in a picture like this.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Eric, great composition and exposure! It looks like you shot it with black and white in mind. And your family members look palatibly happy in this photo. Thanks for the post.

9. Eric, great capture... I love it. Full of feelings! :D

10. You captured a great memory for sure this what we use our cameras for capturing the moment. You should be thrilled

11. Thnxs everyone for your kind words. It is always nice when you can capture a moment like this.Someone I shared the picture with asked me why the BW conversion? Here is the color version. I'd love your opinions..
    20372903-M.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Think I prefer the B&W, myself

This color version could use a little Gamma & Highlights increase, imo, but it's still nice.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    While the color version is also a good photo of the interaction between your father and the little girl (daughter or neice) the colors are representational of reality, and do not have a statement of their own to make.

The juxtaposition of the characters and other elements however makes a strong statement. Black and white isolates forms and so gives more power to the image.

Like Steve said, the color photo is punchable, but I think you made the right decision to use monochrome.

14. I love this image, and prefer the BW treatment, just due to the colours of the top

15. Very nice Eric!! :D :D :D

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Eric,

One of the best parent / grandparent / child interaction shots that I've seen. You can just feel the affection.

I'm not normally a B+W person, but I agree that it works well in this case because, as someone else mentioned, the colorful top pulls my eyes away from their smiling faces. ;-)

Regards,

Frank

17. This is a very special shot. Thanks for sharing.

18. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wonderful shot, definitely one to print big and hang on the wall. I'd have to agree the B/W works better here, the bright colors of the girls shirt compete for attention with the true center of interest. Plus the B/W version has the timeless, almost dream look to it. Well done.