She has learned well.... (The little Rat!)

When I was last in the Arctic, my daughter (Stacy) decided she was going to take one of my spare cameras and create an image to be entered in a photo contest. This of course is all going on without my input as I'm about 5,000 miles from home with my butt sitting on an ice flow north of North America.

So after getting home I'm in the office one day and the phone rings.... someone from a museum looking for Stacy!.... "Sorry she is at school can I give her a message?.... Is this her father?..... Yes!.... How can I help you?.... We are calling to tell Stacy she won our Photo contest.... We had over 250 entries and her image is the Grand Champion..... (Dad drops the phone)....

To say I was a little taken back is a understatement as I did not know she even did the image, had not seen it or even knew anything about the contest.

So from a (Proud Dad) to my buddies at the Cafe, here is Stacy's image....

church-ghost_w.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Powerfull, I would be proud also, as should she.
Tim

Thanks Tim.... Yes she made my day when I saw the image and realized she stopped thinking as a "picture taker and started to think as a photographer."

WOW!!! Amazing!
Looks like she's been missing you.
How old is the "little rat"?

Hi Nick.... Actually the (little Rat) is not so little anymore as she just turned 17. I guess old handles never die!

Congrats !! What a moving image. Really gets you thinking. You should be proud.

Greetings Ally:
When I asked her about the motivation behind the image she said she remembered my dad (her grandfather) when he used to take her to church. Because my dad has been gone a long time I was moved that these memories stuck with her. Further I'm impressed that she is putting some (real) thought and feelings into what she is doing.

WOW, just a simple wow!! How old is she?
You have every right to be proud.

Hi Tom:

It is funny I came home the other night and I see a black foam core board, a flashlight and a camera out in the office. Wondering what was going on I asked Stacy who was using the gear?
She simply tells me it was her... and that was the end of the conversation. The next day I needed the camera for a shot and grabbed it... When I took the card to upload my images to my computer I see images from the night before with Stacy...

Here she had been (light painting) a spider on a web... The Idea was BRILLIANT and the lighting she created shooting in the dark and lighting the scene with nothing short of amazing!

I would post the image but I'm already in trouble for posting the church image (I'm sure) as Stacy does not like the lime-light very much.

Heck when she won with the church, her comment was she wished this person or that person had won because they had worked hard creating their images and they have been taking images for many years and should get some credit for their efforts!

are you kidding me, doug?
wow...
that is incredible
well.... what did we expect with your nature AND nurture from YOU

congratulate her please
incredible accomplishment... and to think that it's just the beginning of her photography accolades

fantastic

Not only a wonderful picture but a wonderful daughter as well Doug. Your pride is well placed. Tell Stacy I send my congratulations with all the others she surely received.

That is truly a cool photo. Everyone should be proud. Perhaps dad will spring for a celebratory dinner at said rat's favorite place. Another to add to the many congrats offered. Post a photo of the photographer sometime too.

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Congratulations to the "little rat"! She's an ice chip off the old 'berg! It's really moving, and of course the story makes it more touching.

Another congrats to add to the many others. That's a really powerful picture. I know my photography when i was 17 was nowhere near that good...hell, it's STILL nowhere near that good.

I'd really like to see (with her permission, of course) her latest project with the spider and the web drawn with a light. That's a great idea!

That is truly a cool photo. Everyone should be proud. Perhaps dad will spring for a celebratory dinner at said rat's favorite place. Another to add to the many congrats offered. Post a photo of the photographer sometime too.

Yes, and some gear this year for Christmas so she won't have to borrow yours!!

My congrats to her as well!

Latest threads

Top Bottom