She hates this..............

Discussion in 'People' started by Rob, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    May I present my Mother in Law. (First attempt at potraiture)
    To my eyes a beautiful lady, who despite 'anno domini' has maintained her good looks.
    However, when shown the photograph she nearly tore the paper up, as she does not recognise herself; "She is not that old!"
    No PP or any adjustments, apart from a slight crop. The background was a privet hedge, which has melded into a dark mass quite conveniently.

Mum3web.

2. Remarkably well taken portraiture image of your mother-in-law. :cool:

3. Rob, very nice portrait of what looks like a great lady.
    The culprit here, I think, is that the light you used has some severe shadows. That really accentuates wrinkles (even of people much younger) and these harsh looking wrinkles = older looks.
    Try to avoid harsh shadows. If you cannot avoid them, or some shadow, you can always soften it up some in postprocessing - like this (quick and poor attempt, since I only had a small JPEG, but you will get my drift.... Also, you can vary the degree of correction, of course):

4. Rob, You've done a very nice portrait of a beautiful lady. If you'd like a couple of brownie points, you might want to soften the lines on her face. In this case a little post processing would not be offensive and just might win you a place in your mother-in-law's heart!:smile:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. Rob...She is a very lovely woman who probably doesn't look her age.

6. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Thanks for the advice and information, especially Frits. I did some PP and softening on another image and brightened everything, in fact it took a few years off the portrait, but no good, she still is not that old!:biggrin:

I'll let you in on a little secret, just between the few of us OK, no blabbing....she's seventy fo............:eek:

How could anybody do that to their Ma in Law?:Shocked:

7. Rob...seeing that she was not happy with the picture had nothing to do with your work it's just women in general, and my mother too, does not like the fact that they are getting old so that is why she didn't like it. Women don't want to look at themselves in the mirror or pictures when they start to look wrinkled. Women who are getting older want to be younger. I know I will too when I hit 74 :)

8. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Rob,

I'm not a Photoshop guru, but I think a little retouching would make your beautiful mother-in-law's picture more acceptable to her.

[​IMG]

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I look in the mirror and see a young man, not much different than what he was at 21.

I look at a photo of that same person and I am surprised to see his father.

:Shocked:

10. She looks great Rob! Just about the same age as my mother-in-law, who I adore. The trick with softening is not to overdo it. These wrinkles have been hard earned :smile: :smile: , just soften it up a bit.

11. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Rob she looks elegant in this porttrait.
    Very nice.

12. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Thank you Rathika, my point exactly. I'm very proud of my Mother in Law, I'm one of the fortunate few who get on with theirs; but my view of her portrait, and indeed any portrait is that it should, as far as possible, portray the person being painted, drawn or photographed. The intention being to not only show the physical attributes of the sitter, but also if possible give an impression of their personality and experience.

I like to think that the image I took originally made that impression. When I first saw it out of the camera I was happy to see the person I know.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas folks. Unfortunately although airbrushing a blemish on a 19 year old model may work I think it detracts just slightly from the looks of the older person.

There is an old boy in my village who I'm waiting to corner, I'm desperate to put his face on the screen; it resembles an old road map of his life!:smile: