Shelby - a headshot

Discussion in 'People' started by JAM, Apr 30, 2005.

1. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    If you saw Ron Howard's "The Missing", she played one of the kidnapped girls.

[​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's a nice natural looking portrait. I like to do bald white backgrounds too. I think it especially compliments blondes & redheads.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW

Beautiful shot and Young lady.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shot John, and very pretty lady. 8)

Frank

5. I like this image. I find it interesting that you have not done any retouching and just wondered what your philosophy is regarding this. Things like a little Gaussian blur to the skin or perhaps softening the line under her eye. I am not necessarily advocating this but just wondered what your thoughts were.

6. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Gordon,

Actually, there is some retouching, but its very subtle. In interviewing several casting agents, I've learned that its important that the person who arrives for the audition looks like their headshot. That's not to say that, with lighting, cropping, and judicially applied retouching, we as photographers shouldn't flatter them.

But the bottom line is that this kind of headshot is a bit of a niche market. They are not glamour shots, modelling, or portraits at all. They are the actor's 'calling card' and with the current trend of high-def TV, improved film and projector optics in theaters, and, in general, the public's desire for realistic looking performers, gaussian blur is a definite no no.

7. Nice shot, great model, life is wonderful thing. Nicely done!

Keith

8. Nice headshot of a beautiful subject, Jam. I'd clone out one of the pair of double catchlights, and there seems to be a problem with a light area on her front tooth.

9. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    This shot grabs me

Wonderful presence it exudes - she looks so keen she's jumping off the screen at me !

10. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    John great looking headshot

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Glad you're here John

I love this kind of work. Been practicing portrait-type work for about a yr now, and I am always trying to absorb any and all tips about the craft I can. Went to your sight and looked at all the headshots, (twice), and was very impressed with the quality of your work. I think I even recognised a couple women in your portfolio!
    What are your thoughts on double catchlights?
    As for this young lady, the only thing I would suggest would be to address the white spot on her front tooth, as Frank's already mentioned.

12. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Frank's right. I don't like double catchlights either - especially when the main one isn't round. It's amazing how often we see this in high-end magazines. Her agent was pressing to have these lithographed and I ran out of time. The glint on the front tooth wasn't as prominent on the large TIFF of this shot. I think JPEG compression made it more obvious. I should have caught and fixed it.

Thanks for all the comments!

13. Hi, Jam. I tried the adjustments we discussed, but I'm not particularly happy with her skin, either. I'm not suggesting
    you glamorize it, but I think the sharp camera lens and direct light have been cruel to this young lady, revealing every
    pore in her face, and the effect has been compounded by the same compression artifacts that appeared in her teeth.
    Just a half pixel of gaussian blur, confined to the skin (avoiding the hair, eyes, etc.) gives an easy fix, and a natural
    looking result.

For what it's worth, here's a quickly edited version of your headshot, with the teeth, catchlights and skin addressed.

If you compare it to the original, I think you'll find the adjustments are subtle, and don't disturb the "reality" of the portrait.

[​IMG]

14. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Except that I would have kept the round catchlight and cloned out the rectangular one :p

15. WOW, nice!! Beautiful portrait and equally beautiful lady!! :D :D :D