She's beautiful...

Discussion in 'People' started by Philippe Roger, Nov 19, 2005.

1. ... That's why her name is Belle! :biggrin:

Like others before, I feel this is more a portrait than an animal picture, although it could probably go in retouching too.

This was a quick snap, in natural light, while she was stitting on the stairs, with the D2H and 35mm f/2, taken at 1/40s f/4 in manual and auto-ISO (turned out to be ISO 900!). Raw, converted in PS/CS ACR, added a bit of vignetting, dodge and burn with the PWL action, and a mild Feivel glow (copy/paste a regular glow action and turn the opacity down).

45134957-O.

Is this any good? What would you have done differently? Thanks in advance for your comments/critiques.

I redid the processing as the vignetting was a little too visible, the image was a bit dark and without much definition in the shadows, I cropped a bit to get some features on the 1/3rd lines, and I also added some more sharpness to the eyes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2005
  2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice shot of a very photogenic doggie. One thing I would've done is masked off her eyes to keep them sharp.

3. Thanks Steve.

You're right. I actually did that pretty much throughout, even adding a bit of sharpening to the eyes and the tongue, but when I copied/pasted the image that the Feivel glow action produced, back onto the work in progress, I didn't think of that. As you know, that glow action adds blur. Since I turned the opacity down to 30% or so, it's not horrendous, but it could have been better (and the shot wasn't very sharp to begin with! :redface:)... Thanks again!

4. The whole image looks soft/blurred to me. I think it'd be a lot better if even the eyes were sharp.

5. Philippe,

I generally agree with the above comments on sharpness.
    But what a beautiful portrait! There is nothing like natural light and it surely did justice to the name of your Belle.

6. I lost a Golden a few years back - a she Golden named Naya (she loved to swim). I ofthen think of her when I go out hiking, or when I look at a face such as this one. It's a very nice portrait indeed.
    Ok, it's blurred a litlle, my guess is for the most, it's due to camera shake. Doesn't take much out of the impact though.
    Merci pour ce petit coup de nostalgie...

7. I do agree with your comments about sharpness, but Christian is right: this is all I had to work with, on this quick, hurried, snap at 1/40s. That said, I am pleased with the result, and it looks like some of you are too. :smile:

Thanks for commenting.

PS: Christian, I know what you mean about the nostalgia...

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think she is beautiful and you did a great job.

9. Every time I come back and look at this picture I get the feeling this dog is looking into my soul! He must really be a character -- excellent capture!

Paul

10. Thanks much Gale and Paul for looking and commenting.

Paul, I am glad you saw that too, in her eyes. That's why I bothered processing this image, with technical flaws and all. :redface: When I look at it, I have a hard time looking away again. :smile:

11. The eyes and tongue really draw you into this picture. I like it.