Shieldbugs young and old

All taken over the past month or so using D300 + 60mm AF-S in various locations around London

Hawthorn Shieldbug - Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale nymph

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Green Shieldbug - Palomena prasina nymph

A younger Green Shieldbug - Palomena prasina nymph

Forest Shieldbug - Pentatoma rufipes nymph

Forest Shieldbug - Pentatoma rufipes adult

Dock Bug - Coreus marginatus adult

very very cool! I absolutely love the details on these bugs, very alien looking!

I have a couple of pictures I shot of two types of these bugs, but it was with a point & shoot... maybe you can identify them for me...

This one I took in Santorini....

This one I took in Mykonos...

I hope I am not thread jacking, but it would be cool to Identify these bugs.

Nice work, the forest shieldbug is amazingly crisp. Did you use flash for any of these?

Jose: Maybe it's time you invested in a macro lens to get some closer shots. Or perhaps you could reverse your 50mm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you Jose. Your second picture is the Fire Bug, the first I wouldn't like to say. The nymphs and even the various stages of the nymphs are all so different from the adults it can be hard to identify them.
Thank you Robert. I just used the pop-up flash for these. Still need to get that speedlight especially now that the SB800 is being discontinued!
Thanks Gregory and Rich. These range from a few millimeters for the Hawthorn nypmh to maybe 2cm for the Dock bug. Since noticing one of these a few months ago I'm seeing them everywhere I go now.

thank you for your reply... The first bug looks like a devil or has a skull on its back, its the most intriguing, thats why I asked you, you seemed to have good knowledge of these bugs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the first I wouldn't like to say". Perhaps you can PM me

Thank you Spectre

Jose, all I mean by 'I wouldn't like to say' is that I don't know :smile:

oh, ok. Well anyway, again I think your photos are great, As soon as I can get either extention tubes or a macro lens, I will do some bug hunting!
Thanks Jose - I look forward to seeing the results.

Excellent shots Counter, very sharp. But how did you diffuse the pop up flash? I sometime tape the SB8oo diffuser over my pop up, but that is not a great way to do it. I currently m using a piece of milk jug on my 60mm and plan to order Duncan's suggested fold up diffuser.

Thank you Torben, Tom and Lee. Torben I sometimes walk through the Woods looking under every leaf! Tom, I don't diffuse the flash, I use the pop-up it as is - I'd like to be able to diffuse it a little but am yet to come up with anything satisfactory. I was very close to getting an SB-800 because of all the add-on options for diffusion but have been thrown off by the arrival of the SB-900 and am waiting to see what happenes with prices.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom