Shinny hockey

I haven't posted or done any photography for a long time due to a variety of reasons but here are a few pics I captured last week at my grandson's church shinny hockey game. A number of chaps get together and rent the arena ice for an hour. They range in age from mid teens to late 50s in age. Some are just learning to skate and a couple are more experienced but they divide up players and have a fun-friendly, non-contact game. It was more challenging than I thought to grab some shots. The puck moves rapidly and erratically, the players move slower but helter-skelter without pattern play, and finding clear spots in the puck-marked plexiglas near the play was more by luck than anything else. Here are a few shots I did manage.

_JIS9067.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_JIS9144.jpg

_JIS9059.jpg

_JIS9151.jpg

Cheers, have a great day.

Real Name
Carl
Fantastic photeaux! Hockey...I was never fast enough to follow the puck, even when I had a chance to volunteer at the world Handicapped Olympic Games. The action is somewhat slower there, but not by a lot. I did manage a few good ones, tho. I think I was shoting some flavor of color negative film rated at 800.

You did well, Jack, and the "boys" looked they had fun.
Thank you. I think having a good time for these guys is more important than the competition.

Fantastic photeaux! Hockey...I was never fast enough to follow the puck, even when I had a chance to volunteer at the world Handicapped Olympic Games. The action is somewhat slower there, but not by a lot. I did manage a few good ones, tho. I think I was shoting some flavor of color negative film rated at 800.
Thank you. I thought with this group, because they are slower skaters, that it would be easier to shoot than it was. The puck still moves fast and because the skill level was lower the players seemed to be going every which way without any pattern play in mind.

You did well capturing the action.
Thank you. It was tricky but fun.

Real Name
Carl
Thank you. I thought with this group, because they are slower skaters, that it would be easier to shoot than it was. The puck still moves fast and because the skill level was lower the players seemed to be going every which way without any pattern play in mind. {QUOTE]

There's a pattern? :woot:

There are a number of basic positional play patterns used by higher level teams so that players can anticipate where teammates should be. The players may rotate in the pattern in use depending on where the puck is and whether on defense or offense. Being aware of some of the patterns forming I think would help in photographing some of the action as you could possibly anticipate where the play will develop (although a little luck helps too as puck movement is very fast).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom