Shiprock and Horseshoe Bend (SW trip pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JeffKohn, Jul 25, 2007.

1. JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    AFter being too busy for over a week, I finally had a chance to work on some more landscapes from our Southwest trip. These are from Shiprock (in New Mexico), and Horseshoe Bend Canyon (near Page, AZ).

As always, feedback/critiques welcome. There are a copule of these that I'm not entirely satisfied with, so I'm curious of others see the same issues.

Shiprock, First Light

Shiprock Pano (click here for larger version)

Canyon Sunset

On the Edge

Bird's Eye View (Pano, click here for larger version).
  2. Very nice series. I keep meaning to get out there, but I never get the chance... perhaps in May, but who knows.

3. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Excellent shots. I'm a big fan of shots from the southwest. Your Canyon sunset is one of the best.
  4. Amazing shots, love the shiprock pano :D. See your from Houston, Tx. Maybe sometime if I go up there, mind showing me the good spots around town to shoot?
  5. JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Dave. It's well worth the visit, lots to photograph in that area. Judgine from the work in your pbase gallery I'm sure you'd come back with some great shots.

Thanks David.

Thanks Mike. For some reason I've never really shot into the sun at sunset before, so that was a bit of an experiment for me.

Hi Steve. The pickins are pretty slim in H-Town if you ask me, that's why I like to travel elsewhere to take pictures. :smile: Actually, there are some decent wildlife spots nearby, just not much in the way of epic landscapes. You may also want to check out Texas Photo Forum for some good local info.
  6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

very fine indeed.
  7. Checking it now. Well I wanted to go there because downtown, a lot better than San Antonio's in my opinion. But I will check the other forum, thanks for link. And great photos again.
  8. Jeff,

These are great...very nice series and I can't say anything but...WOW!

9. yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA

Greetings. Wow... nice set. I find the two horseshoe bend shots interesting, one being a pano with 18mm shots and a 12mm shot covering similar territory. While I find the foreground subject more engaging in the 12mm shot, I find the perpective distortion a bit more pleasing in the pano. And the color depth (red-green-blue) in the pano is really fine. You might consider blending in a bit of more of the blue channel in the B&W conversion to bring a little more detail in the river.

The shiprock pano is spectacular... hope you printed one up large.

10. murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Very nice, Jeff!
  11. Hi Jeff

Like the first two! I also like the light falling on the rocks (right side) of the third, but find the sun burst a little distracting. I might try to tone it down a little. Just my tastes.
  12. JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Mike, Jim and Murrey - thanks for lookig, I appreciate the kind words.

Yamo - thanks for the feedback. I also had a version of the pano with some ledge in front, but it was stretched out and distorted due to the pano "projection" so I didn't think it worked as well.

Dan - I see your point about the sun blowout. Even though I bracketed shots and used Photomatix to tone-map, I couldn't get more detail in that part of the sky without obvious banding so I figured the blowout was the lesser of two evils.

Thanks again,
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  13. biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Very nice series Jeff. I like them all.

Apr 30, 2005
    Awesome series of images. Each with their own unique point of view. Real ART !
  15. All I can say is Wow!

Very nice work!

16. Wow, you nailed these Jeff. Great work to say the least.

17. Dan C.

Dan C.

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I have to chime in and say that these are fantastic!
  18. mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    not sure about the water being cut off at the bottom of frame of the bird's eye view
    however every shot is awesome
    and I agree about the shiprock pano......gorgeous
  19. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Jeff - you're killing me with these shots - we want to go out west next year. Now I have to add these places to the list..... Super shots!