Shipyard

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by hans, Apr 23, 2005.

1. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    One of the few remaining shipyards in the Netherlands to build small coasters,once the ship building industry was booming,nowerdays it's hard to survive the government canchelled all the financial support wich leads to the close down of many big shipyards some of them with more than 2000 employe's not to mention the effect on the sub-contractors.

Here is a impression of a yard,hope you enjoy it
    All with the x 17-55 dx,no flash,handheld

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. You really get into some interesting places Hans. Nice shots all. Like the welder and all the sparks on the last one. Thanks for sharing.

3. I have to second what Gordon says here. Hans the diversity of images you show us is most enjoyable! I liked the electrical cords shot for its color and interest.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Very nice Hans! I am very interested to know: Where is this?

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Hans,

Never seen a shipyard.

Great views you have here. Nice images.

6. D. Kelly

D. Kelly Guest

Nice

Great shots Hans...I worked in a yard for 10 years or so after I got out of the navy, and these really bring back some memories...you really captured the feel of it well, nice work.

7. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thank you all

Frits this is all that's left of the once so great RDM,only one small hanger all the other buildings are empty or used as storage.

8. Wow, incredible how the once great dutch ship building industry has disappeared. I have relatives in Hoogezand, where once the coaster building activities thrived. Now there is only one shipyard left (Bodewes), which does seem to do well (although lots is outsourced). As a point of interest, I have a nephew up there, who is a professional photographer (mostly industrial - studio and on-site). He has dedicated a large part of his career in photography on and around the shipyards there and has published work on that as well. I have seen a lot of his work and I'll say that your shots here are very well done, Hans!
    Groet,

9. Nice series Hans. Your second to last shot is my favorite. I don't know why, but I like it!! :D :D :D :D

10. Wossname

Wossname Guest

Awesome

Great series of shots; you've managed to inject a real sense of the scale and size of the place. #2, the welder close up is my fave as it reminds me a lot of my late brother :(

Thanks for sharing mate, top stuff.

Neil
    Tokyo

11. AndyWoodward

AndyWoodward Guest

Well done

Hans,

I don't post very often, but I felt I had to tell you how much I like these shots - they are just the sort of images I would like to take myself.

Excellent work

Andy

PS D'Oh! Now I need the 17-55 Dx !