Shoes...totally off topic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JessP7, Jul 10, 2008.

1. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    I know that this is a photography forum, but I am in the market for some new shoes. I figured the Cafe is made up of such a diverse group who all seem to be very ready to help others, so what better place to ask for recommendations. I am looking for comfort as a number one priority. I am a teacher and on my feet most of the day. I have owned Merrells, Keens, Rieker, Born, Clarks, and so forth. I am currently looking at Earth Shoes or Simple Shoes.

What I really want to know from you all...what are your favorite brands/styles of shoes and what are their best qualities? If you have a favorite online place to order them, where is it?

2. Please for the love of Nikon, no crocs!!!!

3. Birkenstock For Sure

I have been wearing the work/hiking boots for ten years. I am very hard to fit and please. They aren't very stylish but neither am I.

4. My wife loves Born shoes, I'm partial to H.S. Trask - bison leather is amazingly durable.

www.sierratradingpost.com

Sean

5. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    I'll take Crocs over Birkenstocks any day. Birkenstock sandals are hideous. They are like shoes that were designed by somebody that had never actually seen a pair of shoes before.

6. Rockports all the way if not rockports then Clarks

7. From a former Croc hater I now have to say they have their place.
    I recently got a pair (bright red) for use when I just need to slip something on vs. going barefoot.
    Once I got used to them they proved to be pretty comfortable and certainly are lightweight.

Don

8. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Birke for walking dry in heat (or moderate heat), Keen for wet warm weather or river running, Merrell for trail walking and dirt road trekking, and Vasque for real hiking. As for evening shoes, a nice pair of Rockports, Merrells, Born, Simple. If I had to choose a single pair to live with forever, I'd have no problem taking a pair of Birckenstocks and running away. Been loving them for over twenty years now...

9. ajbooker

ajbooker

Mar 17, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Another vote for Rockports. If I need to wear a shoe that can't be muddy with twigs and sticks, I go for these.

Otherwise I usually am wearing some form of trail running shoe or road running shoe that doesn't quite have the cushioning/tread for running any more but is still alright for walking.

Or a pair of Chaco sandals. I just can't do flip-flops or any shoe that isn't securely in place.

10. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Well, as a just retired teacher, I no longer have to worry about that. But, when I was in the classroom I used plain old New Balance cross trainers with custom orthotics under the insole. They worked just fine. I'd walk to work in them (20 minutes) and be in them all day and then walk home. What ever you do, get something that feels comfortable to you. Don't buy something without having tried them on first. If you can, buy them, take them home and walk around in the house in them. If they don't work out, return them.

11. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Try www.workingperson.com. They have a huge selection, and offer free shipping. They also give you a 1 year guarantee, and if you need to ship them back for ANY reason they pay the charges, for the first year , (I think). I order my Chippewa loggers from them great prices too.

12. I've got 11 pairs of Cole Haans, 4 pairs of Johnston & Murphys, 2 pair of Merrells. I also firmly believe in New Balance shoes, as well as Columbia boots and Crocs. For me the bottom line is comfort. I won't own a pair of shoes that hurt my feet. Those I listed above don't...so they're in my closet.

13. I have a pair of Crocs on my to buy list for the comming Jamboree next week.These will surve as my off duty shoes.On duty i`ll on my Dclass Meindl boots.They look like a coffin (and smell like one) but they walk like dream.In regular life you see me on my Adidas swatboots.

14. As a fellow teacher myself, I usually go with Clark Wallabees or Desert Boot. Very comfortable as long as you don't plan to do to much running or activity (maybe you'll be on recess duty?). Comfy and classic. I don't know about your dress code policy, but we can't wear sneakers or crocs, thank goodness.

15. Anything that can be photographed is on-topic :wink:.

I'll put in a vote for Ecco shoes. I bought my first pair last winter, and they've become my favorites. I got them on sale at Macy's. They're expensive, but worth every penny.

100002775.gif

16. I have a verry destructive way of walking,so a casual shoe have a life of roughly 3 months.No mather if this is a 25 or a 250 euro shoe.My Meindls are the longest living pair of shoes..4 year!.My Adidas Swatboots are replaced each year.(I still have my connextions in the Policeforce)

17. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Another vote for Rockports! I have a lot of problems with my feet and the only shoes that I am comfortable in are Rockports. Previously Dexters used to make very comfortable walking shoes (Walkables) but for some reason they stopped and now it is very difficult to locate Dexters. As far as sneakers go, my vote goes to Nike and New Balance.

18. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I'm more of a Manolo Blahnik or Jimmy Choo kinda guy!

:biggrin:

19. Just breaking 2 new pairs of Eccos. I found Rockport toe room too constricting.

20. racerx1

racerx1

Jan 13, 2006
    northern NJ
    A teacher friend swears by Dansko. I am tempted to try a pair my self. I wear dress shoes during the week (Johnston & Murphy) but on weekends I wear Keens. Very comfy.