Shoot for the moon

Another moon shot.
This is straight out of my camera, except for conversion from NEF to JPG and crop. No other processing. It seems no matter how hard I try I cant seem to get the detail that others can. Shot at F11, 1/200sec, ISO 200, D7200, Sigma 150-600 - hand held (braced against an open window frame). I took a ton of shots playing with all the settings to see what would improve it. Now being a typical man I googled moon shot settings AFTER i took my pictures and found my best results (as shown here) were almost exactly what I found googling.

WFK-MOON-528.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another, almost identical picture after playing with Photoshop Elements.
WFK-0531-MOON.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
My thoughts? OK results...but you are probably comparing these results with really good images. LOL!

1) Use a tripod, mirror lock up and remote to mitigate mirror slap and minute camera movement. Then you can hopefully drop the shutter speed a bit and ISO for cleaner images
2) Raw moon shots need processing....especially sharpening and fine detail recovery.

Real Name
Bill
My thoughts? OK results...but you are probably comparing these results with really good images. LOL!

1) Use a tripod, mirror lock up and remote to mitigate mirror slap and minute camera movement. Then you can hopefully drop the shutter speed a bit and ISO for cleaner images
2) Raw moon shots need processing....especially sharpening and fine detail recovery.

The other piece of the puzzle is location. Some areas no matter what you try just don't have clear enough skies.

Are you outside of Edmonton or near the city?

Thanks Karen, I’ll give your points a go next time I get the chance.
The other piece of the puzzle is location. Some areas no matter what you try just don't have clear enough skies.

Are you outside of Edmonton or near the city?
Hi Bill, (great name btw). I’m in the burbs of Edmonton, it was pretty clear and bright last night. Air pollution is never an issue here. However I wonder if “light pollution” from Edm played a part?

Latest threads

Top Bottom