Shooting a casual wedding need some lens help if possible?

Discussion in 'People' started by SalM, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SalM

SalM

May 13, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    I am shooting my mother in law's wedding in September. Nothing fancy just some church photos and then the reception will be in a hall not a banquet hall.

They are keeping it pretty low key nothing big and fancy or I would "never" agree to shot something if it was decked out and fancy.

I am contemplating what to use to shoot this. I only have the following lenses.
    Well my camera is a D40 and I use an SB-400 speed light.
    18-55mm
    55-200mm VR

I should mention that I shot my first wedding as a gift to my buddy last year. It was an outside wedding and only used the 18-55 kit lens and the bride and groom loved the photos.... That was tough with lighting but it worked out good. Wedding was at a house and then reception under a huge party tent....
    I was contemplating buying this but am not sure if this will work as a nice prime lens as it appears to be a full out macro lens...
    105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro Nikkor Lens

I could rent one from rent glass but want to be sure I get a nice lens that will auto focus on my D-40.

I was told anything in the 85-100 mm would be perfect from my buddy who is a photographer. I would borrow some of his lenses but they are AF and won't auto focus on mine.....

What to do.... Any tips on a lens would be helpful. I am contemplating buying another lens in the $500 ball park but need some insight....

Thanks for your help and tips.

2. I think you can make it work with the equipment you have. Practice shooting with the flash, dragging the shutter, etc. Get a Demb Flip-it so you can bounce light in any location and practice with that as well.

3. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    I have shot two weddings using my 50 1.8, and my 55-200. The 50 works pretty great inside. The 55-200 works really well outside. I worry about your flash, my SB600(with a GF cloud) is pretty much useless indoors longer than about 25 feet (that may be pushing it). A lot of my problems are lack of experience though, so listen to just about any of the other replies you get before mine :tongue:

4. Where in PA are you?

5. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    We did a wedding for a friend with a D40 using a 17-55 2.8 and 28-70 2.8, oh ya and a SB-800. The lenses and flash were rented.

6. Seems to me that your 18-55 would be just fine. The 105mm F2.8 you mentioned is a great lens (I have one), but is too long for most of the work you will need to do I bet. Of course, if you can use this wedding to justify satisfying your lens lust, then go for it.:biggrin: I suggest that you get a good diffuser for your flash (I like the Gary Fong Cloudy for this purpose) and you likely will have nice lighting from it.

Enjoy and hope the food is good! :wink:

Regards,