Shooting a casual wedding need some lens help if possible?

Discussion in 'People' started by SalM, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SalM

SalM

May 13, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    I am shooting my mother in law's wedding in September. Nothing fancy just some church photos and then the reception will be in a hall not a banquet hall.

They are keeping it pretty low key nothing big and fancy or I would "never" agree to shot something if it was decked out and fancy.

I am contemplating what to use to shoot this. I only have the following lenses.
    Well my camera is a D40 and I use an SB-400 speed light.
    18-55mm
    55-200mm VR

I should mention that I shot my first wedding as a gift to my buddy last year. It was an outside wedding and only used the 18-55 kit lens and the bride and groom loved the photos.... That was tough with lighting but it worked out good. Wedding was at a house and then reception under a huge party tent....
    I was contemplating buying this but am not sure if this will work as a nice prime lens as it appears to be a full out macro lens...
    105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro Nikkor Lens

I could rent one from rent glass but want to be sure I get a nice lens that will auto focus on my D-40.

I was told anything in the 85-100 mm would be perfect from my buddy who is a photographer. I would borrow some of his lenses but they are AF and won't auto focus on mine.....

What to do.... Any tips on a lens would be helpful. I am contemplating buying another lens in the $500 ball park but need some insight....

Thanks for your help and tips.

2. I think you can make it work with the equipment you have. Practice shooting with the flash, dragging the shutter, etc. Get a Demb Flip-it so you can bounce light in any location and practice with that as well.

3. 06FZ6

06FZ6

Dec 28, 2007
    Savannah, TX
    I have shot two weddings using my 50 1.8, and my 55-200. The 50 works pretty great inside. The 55-200 works really well outside. I worry about your flash, my SB600(with a GF cloud) is pretty much useless indoors longer than about 25 feet (that may be pushing it). A lot of my problems are lack of experience though, so listen to just about any of the other replies you get before mine :tongue:

4. Where in PA are you?

5. MikeyD40

MikeyD40

Feb 18, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    We did a wedding for a friend with a D40 using a 17-55 2.8 and 28-70 2.8, oh ya and a SB-800. The lenses and flash were rented.

6. Seems to me that your 18-55 would be just fine. The 105mm F2.8 you mentioned is a great lens (I have one), but is too long for most of the work you will need to do I bet. Of course, if you can use this wedding to justify satisfying your lens lust, then go for it.:biggrin: I suggest that you get a good diffuser for your flash (I like the Gary Fong Cloudy for this purpose) and you likely will have nice lighting from it.

Enjoy and hope the food is good! :wink:

Regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.