shooting a landscape? golf course/help?

M

marc

i have been asked to photograph holes on a golf course, suitable for printing and framing.
i do not do this, need help

have camera and hopefully lens

anyone , who can do this kind of work, please pointers

Mark, I ain't the best one to answer your questions, but I'm pretty sure that you will need at least two things. A good high rez cam (just about any Nikon digital should work OK), and a good wide angle lens. The best would be something in the 15-35mm range. If it were me, I'd also have a good steady tripod.

Depending on the time of day, and the direction you are shooting, you might also want to check on a special filter that darkens one-half of the screen (I forget the name, but someone here will remember). You would use this to bring out the darker area below the horizon while holding the highlights in the sky.

You probably should repeat this question over in the Landscapes forum. Plenty of folks over there that can help.

Regards,

Frank

Having just completed such an assignment where I ended up with the cover of a business directory I can give you these pointers. First and foremost, be sure to understand what they want and whether people are to be involved or not. Pick a pretty hole and try to find a nice time day to shoot. Clouds will help to create interest. Make it as colorful as you can; i.e., grass should be green, skies blue, clouds white, etc. In other words get the WB correct. Use your lens at its sweet spot, which normally says f8 or there abouts. Here is an example taken in February so the grass was not quite as green as it would have been had a waited a month:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Full EXIF Info
Date/Time 14-Feb-2005 12:53:33
Make Nikon
Model NIKON D2H
Flash Used No
Focal Length 38 mm
Exposure Time 1/640 sec
Aperture f/8
ISO Equivalent 200
Exposure Bias
White Balance
Metering Mode matrix (5)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
Focus Distance

Here is another one at a different golf course (I should have cropped the tops of the trees out at the bottom of the frame):

Full EXIF Info
Date/Time 12-Oct-2004 08:09:38
Make Nikon
Model D100
Flash Used No
Focal Length 70 mm
Exposure Time 1/320 sec
Aperture f/8
ISO Equivalent
Exposure Bias -1/3
White Balance (4)
Metering Mode center weighted (2)
JPEG Quality (6)
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
Focus Distance

M

marc

those are exactly, what we are looking for
we are doing, hole shots, for an auction.

can you give some shooting info, exif

whatever
they are really good

You might think about shooting during the "magic hours" of just after dawn and just before dusk. The light can be spectacular then playing through the trees and across the fairways and greens. As a former golfer (before getting married, buying a house and having kids...) I loved being on the course at those times. Good luck and please post some of your shots.

Brian

M

marc

we did shoot 9 holes, today

they look pretty good, i will have to post some of them, when i figure out how to do that

thanks so much , for everyones help

I like golf courses with fall colours. Particularly during the "golden hour". That does bring loooong shadows, but it can be brought within reason. Also, wide angles are not mandatory with landscape golf shots. At times a mid-tele will do fine when you close in to a particular feature / look of a hole (attention focused on the green and its background on this one).
One I like (taken with my D100 at the time): At my golf course, 6th hole, par 3, 180 yards, which has double bogey written all over it :D :D

M

marc

Frits said:
I like golf courses with fall colours. Particularly during the "golden hour". That does bring loooong shadows, but it can be brought within reason. Also, wide angles are not mandatory with landscape golf shots. At times a mid-tele will do fine when you close in to a particular feature / look of a hole (attention focused on the green and its background on this one).
One I like (taken with my D100 at the time): At my golf course, 6th hole, par 3, 180 yards, which has double bogey written all over it :D :D

thanks for your help, nice shot, nice hole

thanks
i really need some shooting help, lens erc.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom