shooting a landscape? golf course/help?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by marc, Apr 30, 2005.

1. marc

marc Guest

i have been asked to photograph holes on a golf course, suitable for printing and framing.
    i do not do this, need help

have camera and hopefully lens

anyone , who can do this kind of work, please pointers

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mark, I ain't the best one to answer your questions, but I'm pretty sure that you will need at least two things. A good high rez cam (just about any Nikon digital should work OK), and a good wide angle lens. The best would be something in the 15-35mm range. If it were me, I'd also have a good steady tripod.

Depending on the time of day, and the direction you are shooting, you might also want to check on a special filter that darkens one-half of the screen (I forget the name, but someone here will remember). You would use this to bring out the darker area below the horizon while holding the highlights in the sky.

You probably should repeat this question over in the Landscapes forum. Plenty of folks over there that can help.

Regards,

Frank

3. Having just completed such an assignment where I ended up with the cover of a business directory I can give you these pointers. First and foremost, be sure to understand what they want and whether people are to be involved or not. Pick a pretty hole and try to find a nice time day to shoot. Clouds will help to create interest. Make it as colorful as you can; i.e., grass should be green, skies blue, clouds white, etc. In other words get the WB correct. Use your lens at its sweet spot, which normally says f8 or there abouts. Here is an example taken in February so the grass was not quite as green as it would have been had a waited a month:

Full EXIF Info
    Date/Time 14-Feb-2005 12:53:33
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 38 mm
    Exposure Time 1/640 sec
    Aperture f/8
    ISO Equivalent 200
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
    Focus Distance

Here is another one at a different golf course (I should have cropped the tops of the trees out at the bottom of the frame):

Full EXIF Info
    Date/Time 12-Oct-2004 08:09:38
    Make Nikon
    Model D100
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 70 mm
    Exposure Time 1/320 sec
    Aperture f/8
    ISO Equivalent
    Exposure Bias -1/3
    White Balance (4)
    Metering Mode center weighted (2)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
    Focus Distance

4. marc

marc Guest

those are exactly, what we are looking for
    we are doing, hole shots, for an auction.

can you give some shooting info, exif

whatever
    they are really good

5. See Exif info above. Use a tripod to insure your shots are sharp.

6. You might think about shooting during the "magic hours" of just after dawn and just before dusk. The light can be spectacular then playing through the trees and across the fairways and greens. As a former golfer (before getting married, buying a house and having kids...) I loved being on the course at those times. Good luck and please post some of your shots.

Brian

7. marc

marc Guest

we did shoot 9 holes, today

they look pretty good, i will have to post some of them, when i figure out how to do that

thanks so much , for everyones help

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Marc,

Check out this link. It give the steps for posting images.

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073

Frank

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. I like golf courses with fall colours. Particularly during the "golden hour". That does bring loooong shadows, but it can be brought within reason. Also, wide angles are not mandatory with landscape golf shots. At times a mid-tele will do fine when you close in to a particular feature / look of a hole (attention focused on the green and its background on this one).
    One I like (taken with my D100 at the time): At my golf course, 6th hole, par 3, 180 yards, which has double bogey written all over it :D :D

[​IMG]

10. marc

marc Guest