Shooting alone or with Company?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by baeken, Jul 16, 2008.

1. baeken

baeken

Jun 24, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    I'm wondering if people like shooting alone or having a friend with them. And if they like having someone with them. Another shooter or just someone to hang out with?

2. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    I haven't really had a chance to shoot with someone else but I imagine it would be pretty cool to have some company to talk to, especially about photography.

3. I've done both. Shooting with some else helps me gain a different perspective on things whether they are into photography or not.

Ted

4. most of the time i shoot alone.... because there is no one else around when the mood hits me to take some pictures

i have met folks from here...
    Jeff - "Gdad"
    Jon - "Lucky 13"
    the 3 of us had a wonderful time shooting some time ago
    i hope that we'll do that again soon

the best things about shooting with others:
    1. you get motivated to do it in the first place
    2. you can be inspired by THEIR "vision"
    3. sharing a common interest in something we love

great thread

5. baeken

baeken

Jun 24, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    i wholly agree that shooting with people is better. As long as they are okay hanging out in one place for a while while I find the right angle and exposure for the picture.

One of my roomates just bought an H3, so we went out to the pier to get some shots of it for him to show off to his friends/family. Our other roomate that came along is an art director for nissan. It was great having him and tossing out ideas on where to place the camera for the best angle and why other angles were pretty bad.

6. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Sometimes distracting...

I shoot a lot of games with my 15-year old son, most of the time we are at different vantage points though and generally don't get a lot of time to talk/review until halftime or between quarters. It is great to be able to share this 'hobby' with him, as he is an aspiring photographer that works part-time for a weekly paper. Problem is, he is active in a lot of the sports I tend to shoot, and don't get to spend too much time with him when he is playing and I am shooting. It's hard to be a parent and a sports photographer at the same time...

Because I shoot HS sports, there is a lot of action 'off' the field as well as on, and I have a great time chatting with others. At basketball games I sit at the baseline amongst the students that go to school where I work. It is great, they all know me and help me a lot with the names of the new players.

Baseball games are neat, I sit in the bleachers closest to 3rd base for an inning or two, and I get into a lot of discussions with parents. I miss a few shots because of that...

Football and lacrosse games there is this woman (Canon shooter) who is a friend and always comes up to talk, and because you can't shut her up, it is really distracting. I usually pick on her about her inferior camera and she quiets down for a bit, but it is kinda nice to be recognized at all the games.

Bottom line is, it is a lot of fun, I enjoy the company a lot, but I tend to miss good shots because I socialize too much. Oh well...

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i've done both, and either way is fun. however, i've found that it's distracting to shoot with another photographer as you tend to compare shots and discuss gear. and it's a bit of a hassle when you both want to take the same shot and two bodies can't occupy the same space at the same time :smile:

ricky

8. Done both and like both. I do not like being out and trying to seriously shoot with a non-photographer. They constantly say things like "oooh you should get this shot with that in the background" Aside from the fact that it's annoying to have someone tell you what to shoot, often their ideas of composition just don't work. Other photographers tend to compare notes but know what works and what doesn't and have their own work to focus on.