Shooting Bald Eagles in Homer, Alaska

My father and I want to go to Alaska to photograph Bald Eagles. I've googled the internet and there are workshops available. The problem is, I find it quite expensive. Including the airfare and a rental car, I would be approximately 6,000 USD a person.

I was wondering, if you go to Homer Alaska yourself ... is it possible to go photographing on your own? Or are the eagles on restricted area's that you can't enter yourself?

If you can't do it on our own, we will probably book the workshop. I'm just checking the alternatives right now. Would also be nice if someone knew someone in Alaska, who could be a guide. Or someone from the Café. :wink:

One last question ... for those "eagle catches a fish in the sea shots" ... someone actually throws some fish in the sea?

Advice is welcome. Thanks! :smile:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
To answer your last question first - no, Homer, Alaska does not allow people to feed the eagles, so no fish is thrown into the sea. There used to be a woman who was allowed to feed the eagles. When she passed away in 2009, that practice was stopped and an ordinance passed that makes it illegal.

To answer the first question - yes, you can do this on your own, without having to book an organized tour. Seems to me your biggest expense will be airfare from Belgium. After that, all you will need to do is rent a vehicle and sort out your accomodations.

Here is a link to viewing spots in Homer. Also, this link will give you more information on where to shoot them. And...here is another link to an article regarding the best viewing spots in Alaska.

This is the 2013 Visitors Guide to Homer, which will give you ideas on where to stay.

Happy travels - hope you get lots of photos! :smile:

Send a message to SteveK - IIRC he spends a portion of the year in Homer and would likely have great insight on how to plan on the eagles since Jean has passed away.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
My husband and I made our first trip to Alaska in 2010. We can definitely do this on your own!

Arrange to rent a car, find a place to stay. Send a PM to drr1531, as he also lives in Alaska and may be able to provide info/guidance.

To answer the first question - yes, you can do this on your own, without having to book an organized tour. Seems to me your biggest expense will be airfare from Belgium. After that, all you will need to do is rent a vehicle and sort out your accomodations.

Here is a link to viewing spots in Homer. Also, this link will give you more information on where to shoot them. And...here is another link to an article regarding the best viewing spots in Alaska.

This is the 2013 Visitors Guide to Homer, which will give you ideas on where to stay.

Happy travels - hope you get lots of photos! :smile:

Thanks for the information! I do have a feeling the eagle spots you have mentioned are not the ones where the photography workshops happen. I think the workshops have access to places where you can't go on your own?

Currently I have a feeling, if I don't do a photography workshop and we go out on our own, there's a big chance of not finding a good location and going home without good pictures. In that case I'd rather pay the extra money for a workshop. For me it's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity ...

Plans have changed a bit now. My father is not coming with me. He still hasn't conquered his fear of flying. My fiance will come with me instead. I'm not sure that there are things to do for her (in Homer) when I'm out photographing? In March all cruises and other touristic attractions seem to be closed ...

We'll stay some days longer in Alaska, and we'll probably go skiing then. :)

Send a message to SteveK - IIRC he spends a portion of the year in Homer and would likely have great insight on how to plan on the eagles since Jean has passed away.

Sean

Thanks Sean! I've PM'd SteveK!

My husband and I made our first trip to Alaska in 2010. We can definitely do this on your own!

Arrange to rent a car, find a place to stay. Send a PM to drr1531, as he also lives in Alaska and may be able to provide info/guidance.

Thanks Karen! I've also PM'd drr1531. Did you find good locations easy where you could approach the eagles? I've seen the pictures on your website. Very beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Currently I have a feeling, if I don't do a photography workshop and we go out on our own, there's a big chance of not finding a good location and going home without good pictures. In that case I'd rather pay the extra money for a workshop. For me it's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity ...

Just remember one thing - eagles don't care whether or not you're with a workshop. In other words, your joining a workshop is no guarantee that the birds will be at the location the workshop presenters choose. My biggest hope is that you won't be disappointed with whatever choice you make.

Have a great trip; it does sound exciting!

I've sent Frank a PM, but for all others here, there are always eagles in Homer, and you definitely don't need a guide to find them. There are no hidden locations; the eagles will be trying to find fish scraps around the fish processing plants on the Spit, and they roost on the rocks of the break water at the harbor, and often soar along the bluffs above town. It isn't a difficult drive from Anchorage to Homer unless it's a snow storm, and then, if it's a bad one, planes don't fly either. Alaska spends lots of money clearing snow, and the roads are generally good, though there may be some snow and ice on the road. Just rememember to drive carefully, and don't attempt to go too fast if it is icy or snowy. It generally will take about 3.5 to 4.5 hours to drive from Anchorage to Homer. There are several hotels/motels, and a number of B&B's. I'd recommend staying at some place in town rather than out East road just for convenience, and restaurants. http://511.alaska.gov/ is a listing of current road conditions; the highways you'd drive are the Seward Highway, and the Sterling Highway. http://www.arh.noaa.gov/ will give you the most accurate weather forecast for the state.

Frank,
I stayed in Homer for about 2 weeks and absolutely loved it. I flew out from there to Katmai to photograph Brown Bears and it was a great experience. I used a local guide (also happens to be a photogher) for the Bear trip and it was well worth it. As far as eagles go, they are everywhere in Homer.

Here is a link to my images from that trip. Should you have any questions feel free to contact me.

http://www.michaelfullana.com/Alaska/Alaska/index.htm

this one was taken on a very overcast day.

EaglePortrait.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Eagle.jpg

Frank, My wife and I are traveling to Alaska next week. We will be with a group of 4 other pro wildlife photographers. One stop in Steward for a couple of days and then Homer for 2. Never been to those two spots so should be exciting. Then we travel to Lake Clark for a few days of bear photography.

When are you going? If later I will let you know how things are. Last year's trip was a blast and that is why we decided to go again.

Michael

MG7172012-%20%2856%29-M.jpg

LINK TO GALLERY >

http://www.mbgphotography.com/Wildlife/Lake-Clark-National-Park-and/24378711_msrWVh

Frank, no we are traveling with Ken Conger (google the name). Been friends for a few years and have taken a few trips with him. We also traveled with two of the other guys to Kenya in the past. Have had a great deal of fun and a great learning experience for us.

Only thing is we are the only Nikon couple, the others are Canon and of course that is fun also. I still have a lot to learn but both my wife and I are coming along and learning a lot.

Will post photos when we return.

Michael

PS: Good luck with your trip!

Real Name
Randy
You don't need to go all the way up to Alaska to see eagles, we probably have a lot more down here.
During the annual salmon run, we're inundated with Eagles, not to mention all the permanent breeding pairs that live downtown.
A very common bird.

http://www.tourismharrison.com/Harrison-Bald-Eagle-Festival

I'm coming, this looks alot easier than going to Alaska.....
I'll PM you for some suggestions on where to stay, etc
Thanks for your post !

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom