Shooting ballet dancer outdoors...

Probably should ask this in the sports shooting forum, but it really is about formal people shots:

I have my first gig with a ballet dancer whose mother wants to get some action shots. I do not have a studio but there are plenty of great places around town where the natural setting and light is amazing.

My question is this: if I want to augment the natural light with a studio flash, e.g. a PCB Einstein, will a flash like this be able to keep up with the frame rate of my D700 (7 or 8 fps) or even the D800 (4 fps)? I know that lowering the power of the flash can reduce the refresh times, but I'm wondering if using a studio flash would limit me to a one-leap-one-shot-method?

The alternative is a large reflector, but that doesn't always work when the light is too far from the desired location.

I don't know the specifics of that particular product but I would assume that as long as your at a relatively low power output (strobe) your recycle times should be instantaneous and the only question would be if your wireless trigger or slave could keep up. I guess take it outside and have your kids or dog jump around and practice. One thing to consider is the lower you dial down your flash the less impact its going to have over ambient light. Generally your shutter speed controls ambient and your aperture controls flash when shooting portraits outdoors, and ISO impacts both pretty much equally. So as long as you can get a fast enough sync speed to utilize those higher shutter speeds (and bring down the ambient light level), and you can get enough power out of your strobe to shoot at the aperture you desire (while not killing your recycle times), you ought to be ok!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Scott and Sadie! I will likely go with an Einstein and portable power pack for starters and see if I can get it under control. Beyond that is wide open. I appreciate your comments about power lever versus framerate...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom